Join for free
Page 13 of 19 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Re: Tory party - no hard BREXIT.

Tariff free imports of Japanese cars into the EU wont start until 2027. Just enough time for the EU to come up with some other green bullshit regulation to prevent Japanese cars being imported into the EU for another few years. Meanwhile German cars flow freely into Japan, as does French wine, cheese and agriculture.

Why on earth did Japan sign that horror of an FTA ? it's no wonder they are being cautious with the UK - Japan trade agreement ... let's hope it works well on both sides - unlike the EU - Japan FTA. That one is truly awful.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Free trade agreements are seldom beneficial to both parties. The only one I can think of that works well is NAFTA.

The EU - JAPAN FTA is an absolute horror for Japan, why they signed that I will never know.
Hi

The World disagrees with you, there are huge FTAs all over the world.

Japan, a bigger economy than ours, signed up because they considered that it was in their interests to do sso.

All FTAs have lead in periods for certain things, this is to allow both sides industries to adjust.

Japan is opening up it's markets to EU cars as well, it is not a one way arrangement.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The World disagrees with you, there are huge FTAs all over the world.

Japan, a bigger economy than ours, signed up because they considered that it was in their interests to do sso.

All FTAs have lead in periods for certain things, this is to allow both sides industries to adjust.

Japan is opening up it's markets to EU cars as well, it is not a one way arrangement.
It's garbage.

You should read it.

German cars have no tariffs but Japanese cars don't get the same deal for 7 years .... what a bargain
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I dont think you will ever grasp the simplicity of the
concept of donkenomics Solly! However l will persevere with your education and hopefully
in time you can see the light?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Pentecost is coming soon, so there is hope. Try praying, it may help too.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Pentecost is coming soon, so there is hope. Try praying, it may help too.

Try getting a job
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 01:21 PM

It's garbage.

You should read it.

German cars have no tariffs but Japanese cars don't get the same deal for 7 years .... what a bargain
Hi

What part of this do you not understand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47086737

Japan has done it's figures and is happy, it gives them a 1% increase in GDP.

It is not good for the UK, BMW, Audi and Mercedes will be sold tariff free, Jaguar and Land Rover will be subject to Tariffs when we leave the EU.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Hi

What part of this do you not understand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47086737

Japan has done it's figures and is happy, it gives them a 1% increase in GDP.

It is not good for the UK, BMW, Audi and Mercedes will be sold tariff free, Jaguar and Land Rover will be subject to Tariffs when we leave the EU.
You honestly think that this is a good deal because the BBC says so ?

Do you want this kind of deal for the UK with Japan ? where we wait 7 years for our tariff free trade ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-06-2019, 03:24 PM

You honestly think that this is a good deal because the BBC says so ?

Do you want this kind of deal for the UK with Japan ? where we wait 7 years for our tariff free trade ?
Hi

You have very rigid views.

The Japan deal would be good locally, a huge part of our problem is short termism, not taking the longer view.

Do you honestly believe that our bunch of idiots could get better deals than we already have?

I will leave you and others to your fantasises.

I personally have no fear of a No Deal.

I am retired with no mortgage.

I am currently paying my son's medical bills.

A No Deal would be good for me, it means signing certificates for exports, a huge earner for me.

It is however not what I want for others.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Hi

The Japan deal would be good locally, a huge part of our problem is short termism, not taking the longer view.

Do you honestly believe that our bunch of idiots could get better deals than we already have?

A No Deal would be good for me, it means signing certificates for exports, a huge earner for me.

My mum could get a better deal than what Japan ended up with. Its all one sided - the EU get tarrif free imports into Japan and Japan get "cheaper goods" - which they wont because all the EU members states will do is increase the costs to be below what they would have been originally including the tarrif (like they do with everyone else in the block).

Meanwhile, Japan get cheaper German cars while the tarrifs on Japanese cars still apply from the EU until 2027.

What on earth were they thinking ?

Then to top it all off, this came into practice in 2019 when Japan knew we were leaving the EU so they might end up with tariffs on their cars made from the UK .... (although I suspect it won't make any difference to relocating the car plants as it would be more expensive to do that that than to live with the tarrif - and besides they may get to sell more cars tarrif free to the rest of the world if we get better deals with everyone else).

All on a "promise" that Japan "might" increase it's GDP as a result.

I'm coming round to thinking we might be better off with WTO terms and adjusting our tariffs when we need to.

If someone who worked for me signed a deal like that they would get fired on the spot.

I'll have a look at CETA next in a bit more depth - I smell a rat ha ha..

I agree with you though, our career politicians haven't a clue about trade agreements and how to negotiate. Thats why I would want a Tory/Brexit Party alliance so we can leverage business leaders to help us get the best deals.

EDIT

Here is how CETA benefits the UK. In short, not much.

Seems its another trade agreement based around French agriculture and German cars..... thanks Juncker !

https://assets.publishing.service.go...he_UK_2010.pdf
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Hi

In any case, it is a good deal from a EU point of view. Since you are still a member, and might be for some time, the UK benefits from it too.

I agree however, it bodes badly for the UK should the UK negotiators have to take on those of the EU. As SF says, japan is a bigger economy than you, and you define the deal they got from the EU as.....?

Page 13 of 19 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top