Join for free
Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:14 PM

Re: Stay Safe Dear Friends

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Agreed. Stupidity.
I'm in my seventies with a big dog that needs to be walked. We have a neighbour whose dog we also walk. She is also in her seventies. The guy across the road from is is 70+ with two dogs that also get walked twice a day. And quite a few other neighbours in that sort of age bracket.

Workable............not a cat in hell's chance.
Do they mean 70 years olds not even walking in fresh air or do they just mean stay away from supermarkets and places where you would be in close proximity of the next person?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Do they mean 70 years olds not even walking in fresh air or do they just mean stay away from supermarkets and places where you would be in close proximity of the next person?
I don't think the Government has any real idea what they mean by "isolation" which is why they are talking in terms of 'suggesting' and 'advising'. It makes it seem like they're doing something when in fact they're just waffling.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 10:46 PM

I'm in the younger vulnerable group but although I don't mind missing social events, my dog is not missing walkies!

I can't see how you can get it from walking a dog if you go out when it's quiet and don't see anyone else!

Maybe more risky if you're meeting a group of other dog walkers in the park and standing round talking for a while or still going to a training club.

I have cancelled a lunch with a friend as she has a big family they are all very sociable and had no intention of stopping going to theatre and their other planned social events and clubs. They all either work or are at uni so surrounded by a lot of people any one of who could pass it onto them then the friend bring it here to me.

I was worrying about visiting a family member for her birthday as she's over 70, but she told me she was going away,she has a static caravan though I can't remember the site. I thought caravan and holiday parks would close?...Disneyland has closed all its parks I think so was expecting things like theme parks and holiday parks to be closed too.

I'm wondering if she is thinking she'd rather be isolated by the seaside where she can at least walk on a deserted beach! ...but surely if there is a lockdown they will close the park and make everyone leave?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 11:05 PM

I suppose I can consider myself quite lucky. Living in a bungalow in the middle of a field surrounded by more fields. No neighbours nearby and plenty of wide open spaces. My three dogs will still enjoy their walks three times a day which also gives me all the exercise I need.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 11:26 PM

For the moment, it's up to the individual. They will be advising people to stay at home to reduce the chances of getting the virus at its peak. Whether people take that advice or not is up to them but then they can't really complain if they get ill. No one wants to stay in for four months but if the alternative is contracting a life threatening virus then it's no contest really.

I'm sure walking the dog in a quiet area will be fine but there will always be those who are in denial and they will be the biggest threat.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:47 AM

I see now that the "advice" to self isolate is now changing to a potential threat of a £1000 fine and even jail it you don't do so. Interesting times, eh? They must have realised their "advice"was just so much waffle and many people would have just ignored it. It isn't happening yet though and I wonder how much civil disobedience there will be if it becomes so!
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I see now that the "advice" to self isolate is now changing to a potential threat of a £1000 fine and even jail it you don't do so. Interesting times, eh? They must have realised their "advice"was just so much waffle and many people would have just ignored it. It isn't happening yet though and I wonder how much civil disobedience there will be if it becomes so!
This is what I'm worried about will you get a £1,000 fine just for getting caught walking the dog if you are over 70 or in a vulnerable group? ..Dogs still need exercise,surely they can't expect dogs nationwide to not get any exercise for 4 months or more?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
For the moment, it's up to the individual. They will be advising people to stay at home to reduce the chances of getting the virus at its peak. Whether people take that advice or not is up to them but then they can't really complain if they get ill. No one wants to stay in for four months but if the alternative is contracting a life threatening virus then it's no contest really.

I'm sure walking the dog in a quiet area will be fine but there will always be those who are in denial and they will be the biggest threat.
There are still many in denial too by what I see on fb. I agree they are the biggest threat.

I see people criticising and rubbishing world governments too for the advice given, but we have never in our lifetime been in a situation like this whereby there is something threatening to wipe out so many humans so I understand why no one knows what to do to save us, all they can do is advise.
Tachyon

16-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
This is what I'm worried about will you get a £1,000 fine just for getting caught walking the dog if you are over 70 or in a vulnerable group? ..Dogs still need exercise,surely they can't expect dogs nationwide to not get any exercise for 4 months or more?
Honestly, I don't think the Government itself knows. It's still waffling but trying now to make it sound as if they're being decisive... while not actually being decisive.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Honestly, I don't think the Government itself knows. It's still waffling but trying now to make it sound as if they're being decisive... while not actually being decisive.
I can see thousands of Us oldies taking to the streets brandishing walking sticks demanding answers...what do You suggest Our marching song should be?

Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top