Join for free
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 05:49 PM

Frugal cooking ideas

With food potentially in short supply how about some simple recipes or ways to stretch out ingredients to make more than one meal etc?

for example last week I used up last bits of swede, carrot and a potato with few pieces of frozen broccoli and cauli cooked them in veg stock then later added tomato soup and a couple of dumplings (packet mix I'd got cheap). It was just like a chunky vegetable tomato soup and orange dumplings!

Had one portion that day with the dumplings, 2 other portions frozen (without dumplings) I'll have them with chunky bread when I make a loaf from the bread mix I have in.

Another bread mix (rosemary foccacia) I'll make into pizza bases to freeze then when I have chopped toms or leftover pasta sauce and tinned veg (grated cheese can be frozen too) I can make a small pizza.

Another thing I do is make a base of veggie mince with either carrot and onion or peppers/mushroom(depending what I've got in) add chopped tomato and freeze.

Usually I'll make one portion of it into a vegetarian shepherdless pie before portioning and freezing.

The other portions of 'mince' - I can then (when defrosted) add bit of chilli paste and kidney beans and turn one portion into chilli to have with rice or taco's ...or leave it as it is and just add spaghetti/pasta.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top