Join for free
Page 42 of 43 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 09:19 PM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 2)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well I don't know about a mens cave but we do have our feminine sides!!
Speak for yourself ducky
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 09:12 PM

I think I am a liberal type of person, I have dropped most of the old ways in order to make way for the ways of todays generation, that's only fair as they will have to live with them a lot longer than I will. I can get by on a computer, I have even forced myself to say that stupid word 'Google', a major step for someone of my generation, I mean if I had said 'Google google google' in a pub twenty years ago some kind lady would would have pinched my chin and stuck a soother in me mouth.
BUT I will never as long as I am left on this earth ever say I tweeted, I tweet, I love your tweets, or anything about tweets, it is such a stupid ridiculous term for fully grown adults to use, a word used to describe twittering birds, I'll definitely be holding out on that one till the bitter end.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Foxy Flynn.

You should never try to outsmart a leprechaun, many have tried and wished they hadn’t. I have heard many tales of ordinary folks encounters with the wee lads over the years but the most pitiful was the tale of old Foxy Flynn.
Foxy (Frank) Flynn was always a cute old devil, he had made a good life for himself and the wife mainly by doing dodgy deals, he was well into his eighties when he accidentally fell into a ditch coming home from Flanagans bar and lounge one Saturday night. He was a jammy Arab and as luck would have it he landed right beside a sleeping leprechaun, he sobered up like a light and grabbed the little fella by the legs as he attempted to scarper, “Ah be God I gotcha now me wee bucko, and I want me three wishes” “You only get one now, it’s on account of the cutbacks you see” said the leprechaun.
Foxy thought long and hard, after all this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, then a brainwave came to him, he had all the money he needed but his years were rapidly running out so he says to the leprechaun. “They say a fella spends a third of his life asleep doing nothin’, well I want all the nights I spent asleep back to add on to my present age, can you do that for me little man?” “Done no problem, now let me go” Foxy released his grip on the leprechaun and off he dashed into the night.
Foxy was smiling broadly as he got back onto the road and was hit by a passing lorry. He has just passed away in St. Mary’s Hospital Dublin having being in a coma for the past 28 years, the oldest patient they ever had.

Mars Barr.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Sam's Four Wishes

One day Sam were out walkin'
In t' woods not too-far from 'ome
When 'earin' a sound he stopped and turned round
And standing right there were a gnome

"Well would you believe it" ! said Sam with surprise
"I've read about you lot in books
But I never thought 'ow I'd see one in the flesh"
An' t' gnome give him one o' them looks

"Oh no not again"! said t' gnome - grumpy like
Sam's eyes open wide as pie dishes
An' t' gnome shook his 'ead, sat down, an' he said
"I suppose you'll be wantin' three wishes"

Well Sam were non-plussed an' stood rubbin' his eyes
An' decided right there and then
As 'ow there were certain things in his life
That three wishes could possibly mend

His niece for instance - a lovely girl
From a lovely 'ome and God - fearin'
She'd been very poorly when she were new-born
And it 'ad left 'er fair 'ard of 'earin'

And that lass down t' road wi' 'er 'usband on t' dole
In a poor little 'ouse but fair clean and neat
Wi' a few quid from t' gnome they could fix-up their 'ome
And have summat proper to eat

And them kind folks at t' church holding raffles and such
for th' old folks at th' old folks 'ome
Savin' to buy 'em a chara' to take 'em to t' beach
This were third thing 'e'd be askin' from t' gnome

T' gnome said "RightO then Sam have you thought"
And Sam said as 'ow he were ready
He rattled off t' wishes one after t' other
And gnome said "'Ang on now Sam - steady!

These wishes are yours Sam but folk usually ask
For gold and silver and jewels
But I'll grant thee thi' wish and I'll promise thee this
Not all them that slavver are fools"

And then it were done in a twinklin' o' th' eye
Sam were dyin' to run 'ome and tell mother
But t' gnome said as 'ow 'e were so pleased wi' Sam
He'd break rules and he'd give him another

Sam thought for a while and he started to smile
As t' gnome gently tugged on 'is beard
"Thanks very much gnome - I'll wish thee good day"
And quick as a flash t' gnome disappeared
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Very enjoyable read Malcolm, thanks for that.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks...I'm glad you liked it !
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Yes,-wot he said,malcolm...that were rait interestin' read,wi't'gnomes and t'wishes plus t'lesson in selflessness-and it leaves thee thinkin'.....and what I thought were 'That Sam,laik...eeh,bai 'eck-what a dick!'

[but I've always been really good at accents,so no need to applaud]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-09-2015, 08:41 PM

I was never good at accents Pug, although I do a fair impression of James Cagney from the film ‘White Heat’, no not the common ‘Top of the World Maw’ at the end but where he takes the debilitating headaches and doubles up on the floor, then ‘Maw’ consoles him with a shot of whiskey, it’s very convincing and can be useful for getting out of going places with the wife when I don’t want to go, or if already there getting home early, It did get a bit too close for comfort one time when the brother in law insisted on calling an ambulance, but I wriggled out of it eventually, three shots of whiskey and I was a miraculously cured man.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 11:25 PM

In my younger days in the ‘pool this would be a common exchange on the streets when a group of lads found themselves walking behind a group of girls and wanted to catch their attention

:with the inflection rising at the end of each line!!

Boys: Ey der girl?

Girls: wot ?

Boys: d’y’a wanna fella?

Girls: ‘uz askin?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Ah the ol’ townies mating game Gumbud, well do I remember it, ever so romantic wasn’t it, all roses and charm. Ours went something like this.

Boys: “Young ones, here’s young fellas
Girls: “So?, whatabout it?
Boys: “Have yeh gorra match?“
Girls: “Yes my arse and your face”
Boys: “Your very funny, but your face beats yeh”

Everyone’s brave when they’re in a gang but get one of them on their own and you couldn’t get a word out of them.
When I was an apprentice in a small workshop in town, four of us boy apprentices used to sit out on the flat roof of the extension of the building during the lunch hour, it faced down a lane where there was a sausage making factory, the sausages became famous all over the country and they are still going strong today. The Girls working there were known as ‘Mickey Maulers’ on account of them handling the sausages all day long, they were dressed in a long white smock and over that they wore a navy blue apron with white stripes, sort of like a butchers apron, their heads were covered with a kind of turban thing and you couldn’t see what colour hair they had if any at all, then they had white wellington boots on, not exactly sexy if you know what I mean, a complete turnoff. There would be friendly slagging going on between them and us for the whole lunch hour.
However come Saturday night at the dance hall around the corner from work and there was a complete transformation, when the Mickey Maulers turned up to shake a leg, they looked terrific and were dressed in the very best gear you could get. I remember dancing a slow ‘lurch’ with one of the girls and she was telling me that the work was very hard but the money was great, she was getting between £10 and £15 a week on piece work compared to my £3 ten shillings apprentice wages, she had a car and was buying a new house for herself and her parents, that was in the early sixties and our pound was on parity with sterling then.

Page 42 of 43 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top