Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 08:16 AM

Re: What Sort Of Meals Did Your Mum Concoct

Way back it was always assumed that the woman of the house did the cooking, even if she wasn't so good at it and maybe didn't want to. Unlike today with renaissance man at the helm with all the fancy recipes and gadgets on tap. I always felt sorry for my mum having to do something she obviously detested, but still made good tasty and - most important then - cheap and filling meals. Now I'm getting old, I appreciate what she achieved - instead of complaining as a child. I'm so embarrassed now to recall my ingratitude.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 09:43 PM

My mom used to make a simple comforting bowl of macaroni & tomatoes. It was opening a can of tomatoes & heating it/mixed with cooked elbow macaroni & black pepper. I still have it once /week.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

23-11-2014, 07:45 PM

I was a lucky little girl, my Mom could cook anything. She had a cookbook and recipe collection that was international. American, Asian, Italian, French; it was all in her range. One of my favorites was a broiled swordfish garnished with parsley. Steak and potato night was also excellent. The steak was medium rare, with home-made french fries, and a fresh green salad with homemade salad dressing. She also made excellent blueberry pies, apple pies and cookies from scratch. Her ginger snaps were the best.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
I was a lucky little girl, my Mom could cook anything. She had a cookbook and recipe collection that was international. American, Asian, Italian, French; it was all in her range. One of my favorites was a broiled swordfish garnished with parsley. Steak and potato night was also excellent. The steak was medium rare, with home-made french fries, and a fresh green salad with homemade salad dressing. She also made excellent blueberry pies, apple pies and cookies from scratch. Her ginger snaps were the best.
Wow - what a lady, do you take after her in the kitchen ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 09:08 PM

My dear Mum used to make some nice dinners from scratch.

Fish in parsley sauce (made in a large glass dish, and I remember her getting the parsley with the fish)

Meat loaf (which I still make to this day, following her recipe). Absolutely delicious with the roasties put beside the loaf to cook in the juices.

Rissoles, made from the Sunday dinner left over meat. Delicious again.

She could also make spotted dick (with an unspotted bit at the end for me), suet pud, served with jam, bread pud (and of course a plain one for me: I'm getting quite good at making this myself), and she could whizz up fairy cakes without a cookbook. Used to like the ones where she'd added cocoa, or coconut.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 09:27 PM

My Nan was a wonderful cook some lovely plain but tasty meals, everything from scratch. My mum it really depended what she had taken, we had some fires when she was drinking and some very odd meals if she was taking drugs.

Best meals my nan made were based around cheap cuts of meat or no meat at all, her best was macaroni cheese I think, or her bacon pudding was pretty special too. Cakes and biscuits and puddings she made the lot.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 11:13 PM

My nan was the best cook too - homemade fishcakes, rissoles, faggots, potato cakes and the best tasting bread ever - my sister and I could eat it when it was a week old and you could have banged nails in with it, delicious!

My mum wasn't as good but she did a mean macaroni cheese and the only thing I ever fancied when sick or pregnant - sausage meat rolled in flour and fried crisply, served with creamy mash and very, very thick parsley sauce you could stand your spoon up in.

As for me, my cooking ability is along the lines of Wendy Craig's in Butterflies!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2014, 02:42 PM

I'm in awe !
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 07:08 PM

My mum cooked both fresh and ready prepared meals. She liked to try the latest product. I do remember enjoying her sausage stew, stovies [potatoes, onion, corned beef and lots of butter], smoked haddock cooked in butter and milk, beef olives [sausagemeat wrapped in thinly sliced steak] cooked in gravy and onion. For breakfast she would fry scotch pancakes in butter, I would eat with ketchup. There was also the Birds eye favourites, fish fingers on a buttered roll with brown sauce.
Party food would be sausage rolls, cheese and pineapple on sticks, gloopy pink prawn cocktail in glasses, tinned salmon mashed with salad cream on finger rolls....
Not so much based on nutrition but good intention.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 08:23 PM

Tripe and pigs trotters. And we were by no means poor. I'm beginning to think my mother was a bit mental when it came to food, either that or she hated me.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top