Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 06:30 AM

Grey Squirrels Like or Dislike

How do you feel about them? Do you find them amusing and tolerate them even putting out special food for them? Or do you dislike them perhaps trapping and killing them? I have one that comes to my garden occasionally the local park has lots and some people feed them.Did you know if you trap on you cannot release the animal but must kill him?Apologies if this topic has been covered previously.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 06:46 AM

Re: Grey Squirrels Like or Dislike

I would happily see them destroyed, they are killing or native reds just by being present in the UK where they dont belong. Mans stupidity by introducing a foreign species that carries a toxic disease Squirrel parapoxvirus

Its also been found that they carry Lyme disease.

Grey squirrels are in trouble again as scientists find they could give people Lyme disease

The pest rodent is already in conservationists’ bad books for endangering its red squirrel cousin and damaging woodland by stripping bark from trees

PA Grey squirrels
Ticking off: Grey squirrels have added to their bad-boy image by carrying Lyme disease

Grey squirrels have been found to carry a serious infection that can be spread to humans by ticks.

A scientific study reveals that the pest rodents host the Borrelia bacteria which causes Lyme disease
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:02 AM

I would never kill any creature and I enjoy watching the grey squirrels that come into my garden.
I can understand why people don't like them being here, because our red squirrels do suffer... it seems the grey ones are stronger and more adaptable! It isn't their fault though, after all it was humans that brought them to this country!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:15 AM

Hi

I don't like them, they do tremendous damage.

They do taste nice though, we eat them, waste not want not.

I like red squirrels though, but sadly none remaining around here.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Red or grey ?.....what's the difference ? Surely it's just a colour preference !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Red or grey ?.....what's the difference ? Surely it's just a colour preference !
Hi

Nope, Reds are indigenous and are seed eaters, causing minimal damage to the trees.

Greys however cause massive damage by bark sripping.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, Reds are indigenous and are seed eaters, causing minimal damage to the trees.

Greys however cause massive damage by bark sripping.
So what do Greys eat, in your part of the world then ?.....around here they eat nuts, acorns, hazlenuts, chestnuts horse and Spanish, and I've never seen any of the tree damage you mention.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So what do Greys eat, in your part of the world then ?.....around here they eat nuts, acorns, hazlenuts, chestnuts horse and Spanish, and I've never seen any of the tree damage you mention.
Hi

Well, the Forestry Commission seem to believe me

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Grey-squirrels-policy-and-action-plan.pdf/$FILE/Grey-squirrels-policy-and-action-plan.pdf

Greys don't eat the bark, they just strip it.

Greys also eat a much larger range of foods than reds and as such live in much denser populations.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by veganchick ->
How do you feel about them?
Not much meat on them but probably better than pigeon if they are stuffed, roasted and served with a nice pepper sauce, salad and chips.

The only problem is that our strict quarantine laws probably won't let you import them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Sadly ive seen the encroachment of the Greys into Northumberland from both South and North of us, unless serious action is taken to rid ourselves from the Greys which are regarded as a pest / vermin, we will lose our native reds.Ive witnessd the damage done by Greys on a local natre reserve when Greys were stupidly introduced by a thoughtless women who rescued the Greys that had been trapped elsewhere, seeing reds with squirrel pox is no enjoyable experience.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top