Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:08 AM

Re: The war of the Worlds

I loved it too swims but I am a bit of a sci-fi nut

Looking forward to the next episode.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 08:22 AM

I listened to Four Extra's take on Orson Welles' classic drama from the 1930s and how it terrified many listeners who thought it was really happening. It apparently was repeated a few times over the following years, every time some of the population in the countries where it was aired panicking. It made unsettling listening - in Ecuador I think, it was aired in 1944 and when people learned it wasn't factual they stormed the radio offices, set fire to the ground floor and sealed up the doors so people couldn't escape, they were so incensed at having been duped. Someone phoned the local police for help but as the narrator stated "their offices were empty, they'd all gone out hunting Martians."

I don't know if today's savvy listeners would be so easily conned - or would they? After all, how many folk believe what's in newspapers?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:25 AM

I quite enjoyed it, not a bad start and I think it will have a bit more action next week. I believe it is only three episodes. I liked the sort of 'old school' direction, nice and simple, although I thought a few scenes were quite badly done too.

I will watch again next week.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 12:50 PM

I'll give it a go, after all I watched the dreadful film made with the title War Of The Worlds & in the cinema, (what a waste of money that was), which had no bearing on the film at all. Trust the American's to spoil a good book.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 12:52 PM

There are some negative reviews:

The War of the Worlds review: A lavish adaptation let down by its need to be socially relevant

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9202956.html

The War of the Worlds, episode 1 review: small-scale Martians and women being woke in Woking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019/...ns-women-woke/

The War Of The Worlds on BBC slammed after launch - ‘Give us the original!’

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...Rafe-Spall-BBC
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I expect that it will be long on CGI and short on characterisation .....
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sadly you are probably right. There seems to be a bit of a run on them at the moment.... Somehow, the magic of Sci-Fi has gone.
It seems that my expectations were unfulfilled - WoW has turned out to be short on CGI and long on characterisation .....

More "divorce papers" than "death-rays" .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm hoping that too but I don't remember a female part in the book tbh. Mind you, I read it a long long time ago.
Just a brief mention of his wife who he takes to safety before returning to Horsell Common where the Martians had landed.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There are some negative reviews:

The War of the Worlds review: A lavish adaptation let down by its need to be socially relevant

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9202956.html

The War of the Worlds, episode 1 review: small-scale Martians and women being woke in Woking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019/...ns-women-woke/

The War Of The Worlds on BBC slammed after launch - ‘Give us the original!’

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...Rafe-Spall-BBC
Based on those reviews, it seems to be a typical BBC right-on politically correct drama being adapted to modern values and not faithful to the book at all. Will be watching the first episode that I recorded later - will be on the look-out for any LGBQ and `ethnic` characters factored into the story. Herbert will be spinning in his grave I shouldn't wonder.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Based on those reviews, it seems to be a typical BBC right-on politically correct drama being adapted to modern values and not faithful to the book at all. Will be watching the first episode that I recorded later - will be on the look-out for any LGBQ and `ethnic` characters factored into the story. Herbert will be spinning in his grave I shouldn't wonder.
OK - let us know what you think .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Just a brief mention of his wife who he takes to safety before returning to Horsell Common where the Martians had landed.
That's what I thought Judd, she was only in it briefly in the book.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top