Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Re: The war of the Worlds

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It wasn't the WotW at all, it was some kind of love story, the Martians just being a backdrop to the story. Crap. I stopped watching it halfway through the final episode - I couldn't take it any more.

The Beeb have some more classics lined up for Christmas - wonder if they'll manage to balls them up with their politically correct social message?
Will Lucy in Dracula be transgender, will Bob Cratchit be in a same-sex civil partnership, and one of the ghosts be from a black or ethnic minority?

Wouldn't surprise me. Watch this space.

It wouldn't be any surprise at all.
I watch very little BBC these days, not just because they have become so PC, more because simply most of their programmes are crap.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 10:37 AM

I've just re-read, "War of the Worlds" in case I was miss-remembering it.
It seems like someone either didn't read the story at all or went through each chapter saying, "lets have this instead"!
Leaving out the best bit, which was the guy being trapped with the self-absorbed, disturbed cleric, and murdering him.

It could have been soooo good!

Perhaps they should have given it a different name. Any ideas?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It seems like someone either didn't read the story at all or went through each chapter saying, "lets have this instead"!
Leaving out the best bit, which was the guy being trapped with the self-absorbed, disturbed cleric, and murdering him.

I agree. It was nothing like the original story.
I usually like to keep recordings of good dramas and copy them on to disc. In this instance, though, I just deleted it.

The same thing happened with the BBC's version of 'A Christmas Carol'. All sorts of additions and alterations were made to the original story. Whilst this particular programme was more watchable, if a little slow, it was nowhere as good as it could have been and, in my opinion, should have stayed more in keeping with the author's story.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Rather off-topic, for which I apologise, but does anyone watch any of the 'amateur' channels, the ones where they simply buy old films and TV programmes?
Two in particular which I have watched are 'Talking Pictures' and 'Horror'.

One thing I have found with them is their extensive advertising time.
As I understand it, they are legally obliged not to exceed a specified length of time (in each hour) featuring adverts.
However, whilst they may observe this, they do seem to include very many 'forthcoming programme' adverts which, I assume, are permissible. Even the BBC does this, of course.

I can only assume that this is done simply as 'padding': occupying transmission time with rubbish in order to avoid having to pay for actual programmes!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 01:32 PM

I've no objection to the `re-imagining` of classic stories provided that they adhere to general story. The Sherlock Holmes films with Basil Rathbone are good example of this - the original stories just brought up to date, in this case, the 1940s.

What the BBC do, is to ruin the originals by putting a PC spin on them. Having Carrie in the War of the Worlds depicted as a feminist suffragette and having her as the heroic character is ridiculous. In the book, she barely gets a mention.

Don't get me started on the flaws with A Christmas Carol, I'll be here all day. Safe to say it was just another example of the BBC's politically correct agenda.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Rather off-topic, for which I apologise, but does anyone watch any of the 'amateur' channels, the ones where they simply buy old films and TV programmes?
Two in particular which I have watched are 'Talking Pictures' and 'Horror'.

One thing I have found with them is their extensive advertising time.
As I understand it, they are legally obliged not to exceed a specified length of time (in each hour) featuring adverts.
However, whilst they may observe this, they do seem to include very many 'forthcoming programme' adverts which, I assume, are permissible. Even the BBC does this, of course.

I can only assume that this is done simply as 'padding': occupying transmission time with rubbish in order to avoid having to pay for actual programmes!
I watch Talking Pictures because they show classic films and TV shows from yesteryear as they were originally shown and produced - they just have common sense in putting up warning notices before the start of some of the films.

Horror, is basically a lot of cheaply-made amateur films, usually of the `slasher` type with the occasional gem thrown in once in a while. It's also the home of Star Trek Voyager, so I won't complain about that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-12-2019, 03:29 PM

I watch Talking Pictures because they show classic films and TV shows from yesteryear as they were originally shown and produced - they just have common sense in putting up warning notices before the start of some of the films.
Exactly. I record more programmes from that channel (I usually record rather than watch 'live') than any other - no joking.

Horror, is basically a lot of cheaply-made amateur films, usually of the `slasher` type with the occasional gem thrown in once in a while. It's also the home of Star Trek Voyager, so I won't complain about that.
Yes. The only programme on that channel which I now watch is Star Trek Voyager (mainly to see Seven of Nine!), but I also enjoyed Space 1999 until that series finished.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 06:25 PM

I consoled myself by recording the original "Cats" stageshow (I see they've ruined that with the film) and listening to Queen's greatest hits!

Judy Dench as Old Deuteronomy ffs!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

31-12-2019, 06:46 PM

I consoled myself by recording the original "Cats" stageshow (I see they've ruined that with the film) and listening to Queen's greatest hits!

Judy Dench as Old Deuteronomy ffs!

I'm no fan of Cats (the musical) - a ridiculous concept. Wouldn't surprise me if T.S. Eliot is spinning in his grave. If you thought that the god-awful `Memories` could get any worse, along comes Jennifer Hudson to dispel that notion. I had the extreme misfortune to hear her singing part of it and in true diva wailing Whitney style, the abomination was shrieked out at the top of her voice almost making my eardrums bleed. Why do these `singers` feel the need to scream their heads off in the mistaken belief that it portrays passion and feeling?

Well Ms. Hudson/Mariah Carey et al., it doesn't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-12-2019, 07:08 PM

Incidentally, talking about BBC dramas, there is a new one on New Year's Day: 'Dracula'.
I've put the recorder on and look forward to seeing it.
I'm hoping that it might be good!

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top