Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Shepherd's pie variations?

I've been making Shepherd's pie recently for the first time in my life. It's been really yummy. I've been using this recipe for "no fuss shepherd's pie" from the BBC site :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...-shepherds-pie

It's really easy and goes down a treat. I was just wondering whether forum members had their own special variations that really make the perfect shepherd's pie. Please share ideas as I'd love to try them next time.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:22 PM

Re: Shepherd's pie variations?

Annie, glad you enjoyed your pie. Not everyone in my house is a fan of lamb and so I am inclined to make cottage pie, using low fat steak mince instead of lamb. Otherwise, the ingredients and process are the same. If you want a crispy topping to the potato you can brush with a beaten egg prior to putting in the oven. When my sister makes it, she also adds grated cheese on top but, personally, I think this isn't necessary.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Annie, glad you enjoyed your pie. Not everyone in my house is a fan of lamb and so I am inclined to make cottage pie, using low fat steak mince instead of lamb. Otherwise, the ingredients and process are the same. If you want a crispy topping to the potato you can brush with a beaten egg prior to putting in the oven. When my sister makes it, she also adds grated cheese on top but, personally, I think this isn't necessary.

Ooh, I love it with a sprinkling of cheese on top, Tango.
I feel hungry now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
LT thanks for the tip! I was wondering how to make it more crispy but did not think of beaten egg. I did put some grated cheese on top, but egg is a bit healthier and I am sure it will give a great result as you can really spread it all over without adding to the calories I will definitely try that next time.

I put lots of grated cheese on my fish pie but that seems less naughty somehow, after all it's healthy fish and in mine I add broccoli so it's allowed!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:06 AM

Excuse my cultural ignorance, but what does a Shepard taste like?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Excuse my cultural ignorance, but what does a Shepard taste like?
Depends on the time of year and whether or not you leave his boots on!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Hi

No cheese on top for me, too much fat.

For a crispy topping use crushed Cornflakes.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was just wondering whether forum members had their own special variations that really make the perfect shepherd's pie. Please share ideas as I'd love to try them next time.
Personally, I'd substitute the large splash Worcestershire sauce with balsamic vinegar or an even larger splash of red wine ... something to make the fatty meat more digestible.

Plus, I might cook some of the fat out of the lamb in a separate pan. Mop it up with kitchen roll ... before adding to the onions, carrot & celery
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Depends on the time of year and whether or not you leave his boots on!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:24 AM

I sometimes make a veggie version for Mrs LD using Quorn mince and the usual bits and pieces to give it some taste. Then I top off with mash and sweet potato mash arranged in stripes on top.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top