Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Re: WASPI and Voting

Nothing on this planet would ever induce me to vote for the lying, two faced, over promising idiot that is corbyn.

Having said that - the rest of them aren't much better!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:37 PM

It could be argued that in response to women wanted to be treated equally, having the same retirement age makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is why the changes weren't phased in over time to lessen the burden.

Another thing. Why couldn't they decrease the men's retirement age to match that of the women's? A retirement age for all at 63 would have been a nice compromise.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It could be argued that in response to women wanted to be treated equally, having the same retirement age makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is why the changes weren't phased in over time to lessen the burden.

Another thing. Why couldn't they decrease the men's retirement age to match that of the women's? A retirement age for all at 63 would have been a nice compromise.
No chance Judd, the higher the age when one retires, the more chance of the sitting government not having to pay out pensions, as many working in physical jobs will unfortunately not be around to enjoy much of their retirement. They will more than likely have dropped with exhaustion!! More kudo's in the kitty for the government.

What I find unforgivable is the sneaky way they did it with just the announcement and no gradual phasing in. Imagine being a woman just coming up to retirement age and looking foward to her pension, only to then have it suddenly snatched away from her? Disgraceful!

To me, this is tantamount to THEFT!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:45 PM

I don't agree with a difference in retirement age. What good reason could there be???
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:53 PM

In a perfect world, everybody should be retiring at the age of 60. After all, what is the point of pensions if one is too knackered to enjoy their retirement. It will only get worse, I can see the magical age of 70 being the benchmark for retirement before long. It used to be that we lived for three score years and ten, but now all we hear from politicians is that many people are now living well into their late eighties.

I guarantee 70 will be the new 60.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
In a perfect world, everybody should be retiring at the age of 60. After all, what is the point of pensions if one is too knackered to enjoy their retirement. It will only get worse, I can see the magical age of 70 being the benchmark for retirement before long. It used to be that we lived for three score years and ten, but now all we hear from politicians is that many people are now living well into their late eighties.

I guarantee 70 will be the new 60.
No disrespect intended, but a good many jobs could not/should not be carried out by people who are 70 years of age!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
No disrespect intended, but a good many jobs could not/should not be carried out by people who are 70 years of age!
I'm in my seventies and still doing consultancy in the power electronics field.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-12-2019, 09:17 PM

I agree LT. i was only three years off that age when I retired from full time work. I worked in a lovely plush office complete with leather chair and oak desk. but.,. I still had to leave at 5.30am every morning, commute to get to work, and not get home again until 7pm. It was not the work therefore that made my decision to stop working at 67, I could have worked for years more, it was the cold stations, late or cancelled trains, the long commuting times and almost falling asleep as I ate dinner every evening. Just two hours spent with HWMO and it was bed by 10pm every week night.

I just decided I had had enough and retired. Have never regretted it. It's the people who work hard and physical work I feel sorry for How on earth can they continue to do backbreaking work at the age of 70?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm in my seventies and still doing consultancy in the power electronics field.
I don't see a problem with that but what about a 70 year old policeman, fireman, PE teacher, etc, etc?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
No chance Judd, the higher the age when one retires, the more chance of the sitting government not having to pay out pensions(
The government doesn't pay out pensions. The taxpayer funds that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top