Join for free
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:01 PM

Re: Abolition of Cash

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

The internet however is like an ever increasing tower of bricks that becomes more unstable as the height increases. It is dependent on so many things, as as history has shown us, if something can happen, it will! And when a vehicle breaks down, only the driver suffers, but when the internet breaks down......We All Suffer, as Cinders correctly points out...
You obviously don't get out much. When a vehicle breaks down it can disrupt traffic, causes tailbacks and blocked roads for kilometres all around, leading to grid lock and can affects thousands.

The Internet was designed to be war/bomb/civil upheaval proof, that was its original reason for being during the cold war when the US in particular was concerned that the USSR could damage the west's communications systems. Any disruption can be isolated because it is a vast network of alternate routes unlike the road system.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:05 PM

Foxy, it don't matter how big the internet gets, its just data, just more of it and faster, nowt new there.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That’s nothing new. Quite a few shops have cash machines in store.
Which is just as well as there are no longer going to be as many in Post Offices, see link below.

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
That might well be true but there are more and more towns and villages without any cash machine.
Also there are many places which only have a pay-to-use cash machine.
"Number of ATMs customers must pay to use increased by almost 40% in a year"
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-charging-fees
The link I first included contains the following:
"The watchdog also expressed concerns about plunging numbers of free-to-use cash machines - with almost 10,000 lost over two years. The BRC said it believed there were just 10,000 left."
So that's another reason why the change is being considered.
Business premises where a cash machine would be expected to be found is soon no longer going to be the case it would seem.

"The Post Office is to cut a third of its cash machines in the next 18 months with 600 ATMs to be shut by March 2022.

The move has raised concerns that rural and deprived communities face being cut off from access to cash."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54690738
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Can see problems for some without cash, those with a limited budget already struggling, pushing people into unaffordable long-term debt.

The key to secure finances is knowing what you’ve got and how you spend it. Old fashioned thinking maybe, but there you go.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Something I read many moons ago...
‘Control the coinage, control the courts, let the rabble have the rest

17th Century
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Can see problems for some without cash, those with a limited budget already struggling, pushing people into unaffordable long-term debt.

The key to secure finances is knowing what you’ve got and how you spend it. Old fashioned thinking maybe, but there you go.
That's always worked for me Cinders....
I even run an account on my computer that is a mirror of my bank account. As with all accounting, just make sure that there isn't more going out than coming in....

The trouble with debit/credit cards is the fact that they still keep working when there's now't left.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's always worked for me Cinders....
I even run an account on my computer that is a mirror of my bank account. As with all accounting, just make sure that there isn't more going out than coming in....

The trouble with debit/credit cards is the fact that they still keep working when there's now't left.....
I still use my M$ Money program out of habit but I also have a real time bank accounting on my phone which is updated within seconds of the transaction.

Debit cards do not work when there is nothing left in the account, that is the whole point of them, they can only take what is in your account. Once the account has insufficient money then the payment is declined.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I still use my M$ Money program out of habit but I also have a real time bank accounting on my phone which is updated within seconds of the transaction.

Debit cards do not work when there is nothing left in the account, that is the whole point of them, they can only take what is in your account. Once the account has insufficient money then the payment is declined.
Never been that destitute yet Bruce, thanks to my duplicate account. I try not to have too many Direct Debits either, but some companies insist....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You obviously don't get out much. When a vehicle breaks down it can disrupt traffic, causes tailbacks and blocked roads for kilometres all around, leading to grid lock and can affects thousands.

The Internet was designed to be war/bomb/civil upheaval proof, that was its original reason for being during the cold war when the US in particular was concerned that the USSR could damage the west's communications systems. Any disruption can be isolated because it is a vast network of alternate routes unlike the road system.
Seems like you are the one that doesnt get out much Brucy??
When did you last see grid locked traffic caused by a broken down
vehicle in ossie??
And if you think internet banking is more secure than bank vaults
ou need to get your head read!
I await your deluge of data to prove me wrong !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 12:04 AM

Once there is no cash, the banks have complete control of what
used to be "your money" !!
They allready control the credit side finance, even governments
have to borrow the money they need from the banks??
You are the ones that have to pay for this borrowing !!
All banks are privately owned,either individually or by consortiums
of allready rich individuals , and these are often linked intrnationally
which means that banking is in fact one very powerful entity that
makes its own rules and systems
You will no longer be able to keep an emergency stock of cash on
hand as that cash is going to be scrapped and you wont be able to
spend it?
I believe the banks aim is to get every person on the planet into
debt? They have almost completed this task allready and l can
see the day when children are issued with a credit card at birth
with a pre-determined credit rating to get them started and from
then on they become slaves of credit??
Why are they doing this?
Because the only way to make money multiply is to lend it to
someone else, who pays for the priviledge?this up to now has been
a voluntary arrangement, but soon it will be enforced by the system ?
Think about it ! we are almost there imo??

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟

Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top