Join for free
Page 14 of 19 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 10:37 PM

Re: Wonderful News! (Vaccination trials successful)

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So she doesn't catch the flu Annie.....
from you?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 12:08 AM

I understand what you're saying now Bob, I didn't realise you had had flu twice before so you know how debilitating it can be.

Full marks to you for keeping yourself so fit, long may it continue.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 12:15 PM

So she doesn't catch the flu Annie.....
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
from you?
Prevention is better than cure Annie.....
It's been twenty five years since I last had the flu.
And the source can be traced back to taking someone to the airport who was what appeared to be, full of cold. It later turned into full blown flu, for them, Mrs Fox, and finally me...

For the last twenty five years there have been many strains of the virus circulated every year, I have managed to avoid all of them. Apart from work I'm not a very social bloke and the majority of people I meet I meet outside.

Since then I became a self employed courier, only ever meeting people at a collection or a delivery, so much of the time I was alone in my van.
After eight years as a courier, I joined Royal Mail as a postman. Apart from 'Bagging up' in the delivery office I was out on the road alone. I mention this Annie because it might have some bearing on why I never even caught a cold very often.

Since retiring in 2010 there have been even more changes to my lifestyle where contact with other people is limited. I must point out here that I'm not anti social, and I'm always happy and eager for a nag with anybody I meet but it's usually outside, and definitely not while I'm out running.

So now I deliberately avoid even doing some of the things I loved doing before, like going out for meals or perusing shops and garden centres, or even a trip to the coast or the odd stately home. I also wear a mask whenever we visit the local Tesco or B&Q. So you see, I take my personal protection very seriously, and by doing so I can see no need to burden my body with chemicals that may, or may not work, and it would be very unlikely that I would pass on covid or the flu to Mrs Fox. More likely the other way round....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 12:35 PM

I'm wondering .... if a vaccine is 70%, 90%, whatever, effective, how do we know if it's worked for us?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm wondering .... if a vaccine is 70%, 90%, whatever, effective, how do we know if it's worked for us?
Because you can venture out with impunity d00d (or should I say immunity) and if you catch it you were among the 30%....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Because you can venture out with impunity d00d (or should I say immunity) and if you catch it you were among the 30%....
Thanks ... I'll let you know how it goes. 😐
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 03:19 PM

When they announced on the news that Oxford had developed a vaccine, I thought 'great'.

Sadly, the next person on TV was saying how we urgently need to treat the rest of the World. Well hold up Mr Foreigner, I would like to think the people of the UK get first dibs and any left over can be sent abroad - if they pay for it, just like we would have to if we bought from America or China.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When they announced on the news that Oxford had developed a vaccine, I thought 'great'.

Sadly, the next person on TV was saying how we urgently need to treat the rest of the World. Well hold up Mr Foreigner, I would like to think the people of the UK get first dibs and any left over can be sent abroad - if they pay for it, just like we would have to if we bought from America or China.

Tough titties! Bloody Europeans getting Bolshie!

...and I quote...

The University of Oxford vaccine is one of the most progressed vaccines in development globally for Coronavirus (COVID-19). If it is proven to be safe and effective and is approved for use, it will be available in Australia from early 2021, as part of the Australian Government’s COVID-19 Vaccine and Treatment Strategy. In Australia, the vaccine would be manufactured by Australian-headquartered multinational biopharmaceutical company CSL in partnership with the developer, international pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca. The Oxford vaccine is one of nine vaccines supported by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a global partnership to accelerate vaccine development.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...ine-agreements
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Tough titties! Bloody Europeans getting Bolshie!

...and I quote...

The University of Oxford vaccine is one of the most progressed vaccines in development globally for Coronavirus (COVID-19). If it is proven to be safe and effective and is approved for use, it will be available in Australia from early 2021, as part of the Australian Government’s COVID-19 Vaccine and Treatment Strategy. In Australia, the vaccine would be manufactured by Australian-headquartered multinational biopharmaceutical company CSL in partnership with the developer, international pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca. The Oxford vaccine is one of nine vaccines supported by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a global partnership to accelerate vaccine development.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...ine-agreements

I don't think they were talking about the likes of Australia, more likely to be Yemen.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Pfizer hails breakthrough with Covid-19 vaccine '90% effective' against virus

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...-cases-deaths/

No cause for rejoicing just yet .....
Problematic for some.

https://order-order.com/2020/11/27/l...n-rights-laws/

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne...id-19-vaccine/

It is not compulsory, if an individual has any doubts just decline.

Page 14 of 19 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top