Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 01:25 PM

Disposal of sofas

We will be taking delivery of a new sofa and chair to replace our two old sofas (a two-seater and a three-seater) and, of course, now need to dispose of the old ones somehow.

The sellers of our new units kindly provide a collection and disposal service of £98!, so we are, of course, considering other options.

We have found charities, such as the British Heart Foundation, and there has also been some interest locally from individuals. Unfortunately, we have eleven steps up to the front of our house, so I don't think we'll get many takers when all is considered. Charities are not accepting anything until after the end of the month.

We may be lucky and find someone to take these away, but at the moment this isn't looking too promising.

Consequently, I am looking forward to ripping off all the coverings and sawing up the frames (I have a reciprocating saw), then piling all the bits into the back of our car (a hatchback, fortunately) and taking several trips to the tip! I think it will be possible to reduce the whole into small enough pieces to fit into the car - I hope!

I wonder whether anyone has ever done this - sawn up furniture like this - and might like to offer any advice.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Re: Disposal of sofas

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We will be taking delivery of a new sofa and chair to replace our two old sofas (a two-seater and a three-seater) and, of course, now need to dispose of the old ones somehow.

The sellers of our new units kindly provide a collection and disposal service of £98!, so we are, of course, considering other options.

We have found charities, such as the British Heart Foundation, and there has also been some interest locally from individuals. Unfortunately, we have eleven steps up to the front of our house, so I don't think we'll get many takers when all is considered. Charities are not accepting anything until after the end of the month.

We may be lucky and find someone to take these away, but at the moment this isn't looking too promising.

Consequently, I am looking forward to ripping off all the coverings and sawing up the frames (I have a reciprocating saw), then piling all the bits into the back of our car (a hatchback, fortunately) and taking several trips to the tip! I think it will be possible to reduce the whole into small enough pieces to fit into the car - I hope!

I wonder whether anyone has ever done this - sawn up furniture like this - and might like to offer any advice.

I've done that in the past. I found the metal springs murder to get through though. I ended up hiring a big pair of bolt cutters from the tool rental place in Ipswich. A BIG pair.

Even the wood frames were tough as old boots. I ended up using our chainsaw.

BTW - taking off the covering ism no end of phun too. Twenty million staples to deal with - well I exaggerate slightly but there's certainly lots and getting them out is defo a screwdriver job!

Fly tipping is best especially if you can get a neighbour's old envelope and stuff it in the sofa so they get the heat when its discovered by the council investigating who dumped it!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Local council here charges £30 for upto five items. Ask the neighbours if they want to get rid of anything to dump it outside your place.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Yes, I have, with family members help. One settee, a reclining chair and in my driveway now, a single divan bed with drawers (now fire wood) .
I'm looking at my carpet and thinking of cutting that up...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've done that in the past. I found the metal springs murder to get through though. I ended up hiring a big pair of bolt cutters from the tool rental place in Ipswich. A BIG pair.

Even the wood frames were tough as old boots. I ended up using our chainsaw.

BTW - taking off the covering ism no end of phun too. Twenty million staples to deal with - well I exaggerate slightly but there's certainly lots and getting them out is defo a screwdriver job!

Fly tipping is best especially if you can get a neighbour's old envelope and stuff it in the sofa so they get the heat when its discovered by the council investigating who dumped it!

Aha! Now, can I think of a neighbour who's upset me?

Seriously, I'm hoping that even if the spring sections, especially in the three-seater, are not too big, or actually separate, they might not need cutting up but might fit in the car.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Many years' ago I did manage to cut / break up a two- and a three-seater settee. They were well made but patience over two or three weeks won in the end. All the small pieces went in the back of my estate car for numerous trips to the local tip. The large cushions I did keep for the children to play with in the garden, they made excellent 'tents' and 'camps' for them!
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:41 PM

I tried to get rid of two three seater reclining sofas last year, what a hassle, charities would not take them unless they had the ‘fire safety? Tags still attached, Put in on Gumtree with pictures for free, two people responded..asking if I could deliver
I eventually had to have a guy come with a van and get rid of them along with a pile of other stuff. It did cost me.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Manchester Council have a free large item removal service (up to 3 items, once per year). Maybe Stockport has a similar service.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 04:00 PM

If it has fire tags on it maybe your local hospice would collect it. That's what I did with my two settees recently and they managed to sell them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-07-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I tried to get rid of two three seater reclining sofas last year, what a hassle, charities would not take them unless they had the ‘fire safety? Tags still attached,
We have had similar responses, especially from charities and I can understand their concern.
Yes, ours have fire safety labels.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top