Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 04:05 PM

Might need a new printer

Presently have a Canon Pixma MX495. Tried changing both cartridges this morning, to print out £9.50 of unused Tesco vouchers.

Colour one fine, black difficult to remove, then when a successful change, it refused to acknowledge the new one, saying the black was still low. Managed to adjust the setting to print in colour only.

So, when this colour cartridge runs out (I expect the new black one has evaporated somehow), maybe I will need to look for a new printer, if the black cartridge holder is going to prove difficult for each removal.

I have had HP in the past.

What should I go for? What ink cartridges are more cost effective, (yes I know ml for ml printer ink is more expensive than champagne.).

Do I go cheap, or high end?

Advice, please? Many thanks.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 04:39 PM

Re: Might need a new printer

I've only had 2 printers, both epson...the first was great easy to work and change cartridges, they stopped making that model, and when my printer was on it's last legs, I got another epson....WF2630..I hate it , absolutely hate it I'm always threatening it with the bin...changing cartridges is so complicated...or it's maybe just me. there's a window on the front and arrows that you press up down left and right...I use compatible ink...a lot cheaper than epson and just as good..
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Presently have a Canon Pixma MX495. Tried changing both cartridges this morning, to print out £9.50 of unused Tesco vouchers.

Colour one fine, black difficult to remove, then when a successful change, it refused to acknowledge the new one, saying the black was still low. Managed to adjust the setting to print in colour only.

So, when this colour cartridge runs out (I expect the new black one has evaporated somehow), maybe I will need to look for a new printer, if the black cartridge holder is going to prove difficult for each removal.

What should I go for? What ink cartridges are more cost effective, (yes I know ml for ml printer ink is more expensive than champagne.).

First question:-

Are you using compatible inks?

If so, some printer manufacturers set about making it quite difficult to use compatibles as they sell their printers at a lower price whilst their own inks make up the profits by being more expensive.

So, the cheap printer is not as cheap as we hope.

What you notice about compatibles, used that way, is that the printer, often, does not show how much ink you have left, or some such trickery. Their own ink cartridges have parts added to ensure that theirs do.

If you are getting this, with compatibles, there might be ways around it as there are tricks to let you continue to use cheaper inks.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 05:52 PM

Download the Tesco app Jan, and the vouchers and other goodies come to your phone which you can just scan at the checkout.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:03 PM

Ah yes, I have also had an Epson.

Ted, I use compatible inks and not had problems before. I have heard of that as an issue.

Barry, now you tell me, lol!!! I’ve managed to print them out now.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:49 PM

There is plenty of information on the links below about the various types of ink cartridges, also this company supply both genuine and compatible cartridges.

I use a laser printer so cannot give any recommendations about ink cartridges. A close family member however, does order cartridges from this company for use in her workplace and doesn't have any problems with them. Their website is very comprehensive so might be worth checking out. I also believe they do a guarantee but again I cannot recommend this never having used it.

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/arti...ble-cartridges

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/sear...dges+for+canon

Edited to add details of returns policy, which seems good, to me anyway:

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/arti...returns-policy
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 07:12 PM

Ah yes, I have also had an Epson.

Ted, I use compatible inks and not had problems before. I have heard of that as an issue.

Barry, now you tell me, lol!!! I’ve managed to print them out now.
Maybe worth having anyway Jan, there are usually some coupons and extra points on there, Rosemary has been using it for a couple of months now.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Don't bother going expensive because they do not last any longer.
The print quality isn't significantly better either, unless you're printing photographs & looking with a magnifying glass.

The problem with inkjet printers is that they need regular use to keep both the nozzles and the printheads clear.
That means that if you're like me and your printer goes for a while in between uses, sooner or later you run into problems.
Four or five years isn't bad & in my experience that's longer than Epsons last.

It's horses for courses with the ink too, because HP ink is usually more expensive but the printers don't live for longer - again in my experience.

I have heard various people say that a laser printer can be more reliable long-term and for those whose usage varies but I haven't tried one myself.
It might be worth looking into.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Do we really need printers any more?

Mine packed up years ago, they're as cheap as chips but I thought I'd try living without one. I got a neighbour to print out a plane ticket, but then learnt I didn't actually need a paper ticket at the airport. I got some docs scanned and printed at the local library, something to do with a legal wrangle, but they were never required.

It's true. You can live without one.

The only time in recent years I needed something printed to paper was a pic for framing. And that was about ten times bigger than home printers do.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

17-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Do we really need printers any more?

Mine packed up years ago, they're as cheap as chips but I thought I'd try living without one. I got a neighbour to print out a plane ticket, but then learnt I didn't actually need a paper ticket at the airport. I got some docs scanned and printed at the local library, something to do with a legal wrangle, but they were never required.

It's true. You can live without one.

The only time in recent years I needed something printed to paper was a pic for framing. And that was about ten times bigger than home printers do.
Well with libraries closing as they do, it’s not ideal to keep that as an only option, IMO. I do like the idea of having my own printer, for the immediate use and convenience.

I have downloaded the Tesco app to my phone, Barry, as advised.

I think when the stores are open again, and the colour cartridge runs out, then I will have a look at various models.

Thanks, all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top