Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Boredom

If you are elderly, like me , and cannot get out much, what do you do to relieve boredom during these dismal days.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Re: Boredom

Hello Ben.....well you come here and chat to us for one thing and your company is very much appreciated
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Also one of the bored and frightened elderly. Frightened because I don’t want to get a dose of this plague. So I don’t go out much.
I do go out early once a week to Sainsbury’s for my weekly shopping. I have the luxury of access to a closed sports field that I take my dog around twice a day.
As for the boring bit. I do spend time on my iPads browsing different web sites. I have the TV of course, but only watch the more interesting programes or films.
Not much to do in the garden that already been done.
There is much maintenance to do in my home. Such as cleaning etc. But only when I feel like it.
Next?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 11:18 AM

My main indoor interest is computer related. Getting the best out of it, drawing graphics, photography work, writing and related things. I couldn't do that all the time though. If I had to do more indoors, I'd be looking towards a craft or hobby of some sort.

I can give the example of Mrs mart who doesn't go out. She spends her hours beading, card making and doing other crafty work. These aren't just female pastimes. Plenty of males do cross-stitch and other crafts. Perhaps make something out of wood?

The trouble is that the desire to do a pastime nearly always has to come from within and suggestions on what to do aren't often helpful.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 11:51 AM

And another thing.
I do have my kindle with a stock of books on it, but I can’t just read all the time.
For more exercise with a difference, I recently bought an exercise bike. What made me get this was because I came across videos on YouTube that you can cycle to. So when I cycle with them on my ‘big’ TV, with the bike up close, you almost get the impression that you are there. Well I have been known to attempt to brake when someone gets in the way or shout at them. There are so many places I have visited and cycled around.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Not a lot. We've got quite a lot of "Old Time Radio" CDs and downloads that we listen too when there's sod all on TV (two separate players so no arguments!). Things like The Navy Lark - and all sorts of stuff from the good days and on this web site free and clean but it's one of many. https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/

Then there's https://www.investopedia.com/article...rade-forex.asp - a bit of silly money gambling that can turn quite a few squid. On top of that I manage my portfolio.

Occasionally we go for a spin and because it's still warm often go to the summerhouse and watch wildlife. Trouble is that so much of the wildlife round us seems to have forgotten it's supposed to be wild.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:40 PM

In the colder months when the garden has been put to bed, apart from chores and walking with the dogs I potter about in the workshop a fair bit making things such as flower planters, and also repairing whatever I can that needs to be done from time to time. In the house I do a fair few jigsaws, make balsa models, sometimes do marquetry and also watch a few youtube videos on a wide variety of subjects from aviation to vehicle maintenance to archaeology to history.

To be honest there just aren't enough hours in the day to be bored...
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:46 PM

I'm on my computer a lot, I make my own cards ,,,Christmas and birthdays
I also like to listen to old songs on you tube , taking me back to my young days and wondering where the years have gone.I like to read too, and do puzzles in the newspapers, I can't say that I get bored, but I do get tired and sometimes have 40 winks in the afternoon...and of course...I come on here..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
If you are elderly, like me , and cannot get out much, what do you do to relieve boredom during these dismal days.
I read a lot, watch TV or play on here. I also watch the squirrels terrorizing the birds at the bird food in next doors garden.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 03:03 PM

I don't get bored, just lazyitis has crept in where it never was.

Since March, the start of this bloomin' virus, I've been sewing, knitting, decorating, painted fences and shed, made an old TV unit into a seat.
Gardening's taken a bit of a hike lately as it always seems to be raining, but on dry days it's tidied and I cut the lawn last week, or maybe that was the week before, I forget.

Now all that's done, it's cleaning where it doesn't need it (exercise ), crosswords, reading (although I tend to save that pleasure till I'm in bed). Shopping once a week.
I've attended one funeral, had a coffee in a pub, helped clean an ex's flat. That's it.

There was a thread somewhere about old games which brought back memories of me being addicted to 'escape the room' games and such like.
Damn and blast, those memories made me get out an old Vista laptop (which is neither use nor ornament) and play these games again ). With the old laptop it doesn't matter if I pick up a virus from these sites, which is why I stopped doing them originally.

I'm finding it difficult to find things to do now, even walking has taken a backseat. I refuse to walk when it's wet. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter, I can use the treadmill. But then I forget about the treadmill.

Evenings tends to be Morse (again) and Endeavour (again). Thank gawd for those

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top