Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 08:40 PM

Is this cheating

one of the problems of getting a close up of a bird is usually using a long telephoto lens. This can lead to camera shake and other problems.

But there is another way as per photo above.

That is by using a remote radio shutter trigger release. Here I set up the camera behind a flower pot, but so the camera had a clear view. Not that far away (about 12 ft) from the target area with a fairly short zoom lens

Then with camera at the target having done test shots to get it right I sat indoors and waited. Took a little time before birds arrived being suspicious and then i took the shot.

THis is a lot cheaper than getting a long expensive telephoto lens . Just bait a site for the birds to visit and get the photos
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 02:37 AM

Re: Is this cheating

Amazing shot so clear do you live near the sea ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 05:19 AM

Ha ha. Lucky they didn't land on the camera or shit on it.

I like the idea of remote control. My Canon G16 had a socket for such a thing and I made a long lead out of some wire, a couple of momentary contact switches and an old film canister. I am sure it could be wifi'd

Two switches - one for focus one for shutter. The expensive Canon device had a special switch that did the job in sequence with one press. I made mine so you rolled your thumb over the two switches to do the same job.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

one of the problems of getting a close up of a bird is usually using a long telephoto lens. This can lead to camera shake and other problems.

But there is another way as per photo above.

That is by using a remote radio shutter trigger release. Here I set up the camera behind a flower pot, but so the camera had a clear view. Not that far away (about 12 ft) from the target area with a fairly short zoom lens

Then with camera at the target having done test shots to get it right I sat indoors and waited. Took a little time before birds arrived being suspicious and then i took the shot.

THis is a lot cheaper than getting a long expensive telephoto lens . Just bait a site for the birds to visit and get the photos
You should go Micro Four Thirds. A Panasonic GX9 + 45-150 lens, weighs 600gms in total, and has a reach equivalent to a Nikon FX 300mm lens. It has dual stabilisation (body and lens), no tripod required, has an electronic shutter doing 6 frames per second with continuous autofocus. You'd get a more interesting shot of the gull taking off or landing, frozen at about 1/2000th of a second or faster.

Remotes can do only one shot at a time, afaik.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:16 AM

I used a remote shutter set-up some years ago for my Olympus SP-560UZ bridge camera. It never got used all that much. Maybe I ought to find it and see if it still works.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Here's a selfie taken about 4 years ago .... my Nikon dSLR with remote.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Amazing shot so clear do you live near the sea ?
Yes very close about 5+ minutes by car
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
You should go Micro Four Thirds. A Panasonic GX9 + 45-150 lens, weighs 600gms in total, and has a reach equivalent to a Nikon FX 300mm lens. It has dual stabilisation (body and lens), no tripod required, has an electronic shutter doing 6 frames per second with continuous autofocus. You'd get a more interesting shot of the gull taking off or landing, frozen at about 1/2000th of a second or faster.

Remotes can do only one shot at a time, afaik.
Yes I was just going to recommend that d00d....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

26-11-2020, 12:54 PM

Too expensive to swap systems from Nikon to any other make and one lens of mine is 400mm or used on my Nikon D300 is 560mm with a cropped sensor

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top