Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Tactical Voting

Although it has obviously always been an option, in this forthcoming election much more seems to have been made of the issue of tactical voting. Indeed there are sites you can log onto where you enter your postcode to see what difference voting in this manner may or may not make to the outcome in your particular area.

Having checked this, I find that the party I normally vote for came a close second last time around so there is no need for me to change my allegiance.

What about you - have you considered voting tactically?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Re: Tactical Voting

I dont know how to ?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:22 AM

From wiki -
In voting methods, tactical voting (or strategic voting, sophisticated voting or insincere voting) occurs in elections with more than two candidates, when a voter supports another candidate more strongly than their sincere preference in order to prevent an undesirable outcome.[1]

Susan, the example I can offer is where the Party I normally vote for was projected to come a poor third in a particular election. In an effort to oust the SNP, I decided to vote for the Party predicted to come second. Unfortunately, in this instance, the strategy failed!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:43 AM

I think tactical voting is a bad idea, one side doing it in one place for one party is cancelled out others doing it elsewhere for another party making it all rather pointless.

It leads to a false impression of the true voting intentions of the UK.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

It leads to a false impression of the true voting intentions of the UK.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but it may be that the true voting intentions this time round are more about voting tactically in the hope of keeping a certain Party out, rather than putting one in?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think tactical voting is a bad idea, one side doing it in one place for one party is cancelled out others doing it elsewhere for another party making it all rather pointless.

It leads to a false impression of the true voting intentions of the UK.
Fully agree, and it solves nothing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Well I care not for the usual rhetoric spewed out by the various politicians, the party who will get us out of the EU is my only concern at this election, so consequently I will vote for 'The Brexit Party'....I don't care if 'Attila the Hun' was standing, if he promised to get us out of the EU, preferably with 'No Deal' he would get my vote....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Fully agree, and it solves nothing.
I disagree. It can load the bases against the party you don't want to gain the seat. No point in voting for a minority party, it's a wasted vote.

Looses just vanish like snow on the Gobi sands.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 02:00 PM

I think tactical voting is wrong. Modern Politics sadly.
I wish we had proportional representation.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 02:04 PM

I would consider voting tactically if I lived in a marginal constituency and I thought a tactical vote would help elect a candidate more aligned to my views.

Anyone who does not support one of the two main parties has to make a choice between voting for their first choice, knowing they are unlikely to win, or selecting one of the major party candidates whose policies most closely reflect their own.

If we had proper proportional representation, or even a form of Transferable Voting, nobody would need to vote tactically - but the current FPTP system does not reflect the public’s real voting choices.

I have never voted tactically myself - I know the candidate I vote for will never win and none of the alternative candidates I could vote for will win because the constituency has been a safe seat for one particular party since Adam was a lad and hell will freeze over before that changes, I think. When one candidate always gets about 60% of the vote, tactical voting would make no difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top