Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 10:53 PM

I Found One Of My Hens Dead This Afternoon..

I only have three hens now, a Welsummer that is about 5 and two Hi- Lines that are about 18 months old.

They were fine this morning at 7am when l let them out in the garden but when it rained, l put them back in the run. l went to see them at approx 4pm and one was dead on the ground in the run.

I have to say, l shed a tear as they are lovely little friendly hens and there was no sign of any illness. Her friend, who l got at the same time, looks so forlorn and seems to be looking around for her.

It’s a mystery and maybe it was a sudden death, l don’t know?

I don’t suppose anyone has any knowledge about hens.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 11:04 PM

Re: I Found One Of My Hens Dead This Afternoon..

That a shame Art.
Nice birds are Welsummers, nice brown eggs.

Did you examine the body? Did you feel the crop to see if it was full of liquid or hard and solid?
Did you feel her breasbone and see if she was thin? Or look at the vent to see if there was any 'runs' or blood, or an egg stuck?

There are quite a few things it could have been, including just age or eaten alive by Red Mite even.
Are you sure of their age when you bought them?

I would check the others in the morning if I were you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That a shame Art.
Nice birds are Welsummers, nice brown eggs.

Did you examine the body? Did you feel the crop to see if it was full of liquid or hard and solid?
Did you feel her breasbone and see if she was thin? Or look at the vent to see if there was any 'runs' or blood, or an egg stuck?

There are quite a few things it could have been, including just age or eaten alive by Red Mite even.
Are you sure of their age when you bought them?

I would check the others in the morning if I were you.
Mups, l couldn’t examine her properly. l was too upset.
There was no blood. She’d laid an egg this morning as she always does every day, never misses.
I had noticed a few red mites lately on the perch but l had treated all the hens and cleaned out the coops and treated the perches.

What l did notice about her dead body, one leg was straight down but the other was bent and tucked underneath her as if she only had one leg..

I bought her from a reputable poultry breeder who lives near me. He is thought highly of in the ‘poultry world’. I have had hens from him before and one of them an Ancaura lived until she was well over 9 years old.

Maybe, because the two young ones were Hi-Lines/Hybrid and are only bred to produce lots of eggs, they burn themselves out?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 11:31 PM

Aww... sorry to hear that Art, how sad
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

12-06-2020, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Aww... sorry to hear that Art, how sad
Thank You, Mags.
It was the shock and that it was so unexpected..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 11:36 PM

I know nothing about hens but I do know what it is like to lose a pet. Nothing wrong in shedding a tear or two. So god bless
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, l couldn’t examine her properly. l was too upset.
There was no blood. She’d laid an egg this morning as she always does every day, never misses.
I had noticed a few red mites lately on the perch but l had treated all the hens and cleaned out the coops and treated the perches.

What l did notice about her dead body, one leg was straight down but the other was bent and tucked underneath her as if she only had one leg..

I bought her from a reputable poultry breeder who lives near me. He is thought highly of in the ‘poultry world’. I have had hens from him before and one of them an Ancaura lived until she was well over 9 years old.

Maybe, because the two young ones were Hi-Lines/Hybrid and are only bred to produce lots of eggs, they burn themselves out?

My apologies, I thought it was the Welsummer who died, but now I understand you meant one of the Hybrids - ( never heard of the term Hi-line before).

'Tis true what you say about hybrids being bred purely as egg-laying machines, and they don't usually have the life span of the older type pure breeds.

I can't suggest anything else really, it is difficult without knowing her.
Poor old thing, but I am sure she had a good life with you.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 02:21 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss Artangel.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 06:52 AM

So sorry Art perhaps she had just come to the end of her days Dear little bird I am sure she had a good life with you .
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I know nothing about hens but I do know what it is like to lose a pet. Nothing wrong in shedding a tear or two. So god bless

A thoughtful post which am sure will be appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top