Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 05:54 PM

wide wood drill sharpening

All 5 of these type were blunt so never bothered before to see if I could do anything with them
Well this afternoon I had a go using a small flat metal file. Took several goes and tests before I got ther cutting angle about right. Not perfect be any means but at least they do a half decent job in the test wood holes I made,

What one finds to do in this locked time
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:28 AM

Re: wide wood drill sharpening

I have always sharpened my flat-bits because if not sharp they will tear their way through the wood rather than cutting and that leaves a somewhat ragged hole. Its the same with saws ..well sharpened and teeth nicely set to the correct lean.
I even sharpen masonry bits with a green grit wheel.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I have always sharpened my flat-bits because if not sharp they will tear their way through the wood rather than cutting and that leaves a somewhat ragged hole. Its the same with saws ..well sharpened and teeth nicely set to the correct lean.
I even sharpen masonry bits with a green grit wheel.
I love the smell of the smoke a blunt drill bit leaves behind.l
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:27 PM

I use a fine grit diamond wheel.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:44 AM

I remember back in the day sharpening auger bits, that was a pain in the backside, but it had to be done, the boss was too tight to but new ones, we used to drill hundreds of holes each day, but if you were lucky you got one new bit every couple of months.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top