Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Huge Power surge - Power Cut - Reminder?

This morning, around 2 am, I was awakened by a huge power surge noise, followed by the power being totally cut off for an hour or two.

Shouldn't be any real problem, but, in pitch darkness, had to find the torches, which I always used to keep in crucial places, for easy finding, but where no longer there as we haven't seen a major power cut for years!

Then how about matches, candles, and oil lamps?

Same story.

Use the mobile phone torch - battery flat (because of the power cut?)

I post this as a reminder to others.

Shuffling around a blacked out house, before dawn, in your undies, is no joke.

In the end, I just went back to bed and am fixing all the timers as we speak!

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 10:36 AM

Re: Huge Power surge - Power Cut - Reminder?

Hi Ted I live in an area where power cuts used to be frequent like every winter so am always well prepared with small torches easily accessible upstairs and down and a lantern torch in the garage as well as lots of candles and matches.
There is always a torch in my bedside draw.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Ted I live in an area where power cuts used to be frequent like every winter so am always well prepared with small torches easily accessible upstairs and down and a lantern torch in the garage as well as lots of candles and matches.
Hi Meg!

I was the same, then problems ceased to happen & my careful planning was forgotten!

Note:

Men have a problem with toilets in pitch darkness!

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 10:41 AM

....One time lightning struck the powerlines in the next field and frightened cattle rampage into my neighbours garden, I wondered what on earth was happening and was grateful for a torch to shine through the window and to assure me I wasn't being attacked.
I am glad there are sheep in the field now not so scary if they break out...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 02:07 PM

There used to be power cuts in this village, not for very long usually just a few minutes, 10 or 15 at the most. One or two very short ones just affected one clock, the cooker clock which required resetting, strangely nothing else was affected, not even the computers. I keep two torches upstairs just in case but there have not been any cuts for a while now, touch wood!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
This morning, around 2 am, I was awakened by a huge power surge noise, followed by the power being totally cut off for an hour or two.

Shouldn't be any real problem, but, in pitch darkness, had to find the torches, which I always used to keep in crucial places, for easy finding, but where no longer there as we haven't seen a major power cut for years!

Then how about matches, candles, and oil lamps?

Same story.

Use the mobile phone torch - battery flat (because of the power cut?)

I post this as a reminder to others.

Shuffling around a blacked out house, before dawn, in your undies, is no joke.

In the end, I just went back to bed and am fixing all the timers as we speak!

Please describe the sound of your power surge, because I have never heard such an event, only witnessed the mass failure of equipment caused by a surge.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 04:52 PM

I have those portable battery lamps, like plastic anglepoise in most rooms here, as once I got caught with a power cut & no light. Have to check the batteries periodically though.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Please describe the sound of your power surge, because I have never heard such an event, only witnessed the mass failure of equipment caused by a surge.
Typically, an electrolytic capacitor could cause such a surge.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 05:51 PM

I purchased some cheap, batter powered lamps from B&M, just in case I had a power cut & I also put replacement batteries with them on my bedside table. If you are in bed when you have a power cut you are bound to trip over something & maybe have an accident.
One night these lamps proved invaluable because my asthmatic cat needed his inhaler to help him breathe... so I will always have them by my bed now!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 05:56 PM

Prompted Me to look for the 2 led camping lamps I've had for years but never used,so hung one on a hook in the hall and the other on a hook in the bedroom...best to be prepared I guess..so ta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top