Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Thank you. You say the EU will have to swallow the pill and accept job losses but will the Spanish orange grower, the German motor worker or the Dutch fisherman be willing to accept that compromise so easily. I don't think so and it may very well have consequences for European politicians the next time elections are held. Afterall, why would a person whose job has just disappeared vote for a politician who he blames for being out of work? Would you?

I know it will be similar here but there is a subtle difference in the event of no deal. Those who blame our politicians for letting "no deal" happen will be countered by those who will say our Government have delivered on the referendum result and they were prepared to do a deal with the EU but they were too intransigent and wanted to make it so hard for the UK that no other country will vote to leave.

So the two negotiationg teams have, obviously,* different goals and different electorates to please but I think our team has the easier task. Also, the EU are really scared about having an economic competitor on their doorstep. The only way for them to maybe influence this is by striking a deal - no deal will mean the leash is off and they will be powerless to do anything about it. That's the nightmare the EU want to avoid at all costs.
I think accepting the job losses will not be done carelessly. And yes I expect different votes in case the people whose jobs have gone. Concerning oranges I would be happy to have those from Spain or Portugal. I only find oranges and lemons from South America in the supermarkets which I visit. They are much less tasty, having had a journey of weeks before arriving in Germany.

About the negotiations and goals: From the EUs view an economic competitor at the EUs doorstep who is not bound to obeying certain standards does not make sense and has clearly to be avoided. The negotiating team has pointed that out often as I remember. The UK often claimed to have the same or even better standards but refused to agree on legal text about that.

That leaves the EU with a potential economic disadvantage which it cannot accept.
We may like or dislike that but agreeing to the standards is an intrinsic characteristic of the economic construct and the EU must insist on them.

It might as well be that the EU disintegrates on the long run. I have always been skeptical about increasing the number of members and of tightening the bonds between them. But yet imo the effects of all our efforts may not be seen until middle or end of 2021.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Hi

No Deal is also going to impact the UK.

t is not going to have the massive impact some think on the EU.

The UK has published it's Standard Tariffs, so a lot of EU Exports to the UK will be Tariff Free or a minimal tariff.

The EU is more protectionist than the UK, so is not changing it's Tariff Schedule.

As regards fisheries, who is going to catch all the fish that the EU currently catches?

Easily taken up by English Inshore Fleet, but a big issue for the vast amount of our catch which we do not bother with and have neither the boats or the infrastructure in place to process or export.

Most of the UK Catch is devolved, to down to Nicola and CO to decide, not Boris.

I will repeat that the UK Fishery is worth less to the UK Economy than Harrods.

Any fish we land here in the UK will be subject to EU Tariffs and Sanitary Checks, so if the EU is right in it's assessment, it may be wrong, it will cost them nothing as the price will go down and they will use that to subsidise the job losses.

It is a weird world we live in.

I did not vote leave for economic advantage, I voted leave because I did not like the way the EU was going and as others have said, I can vote our lot out, I cannot vote the EU out.

I am not here to subsidies inefficient French Farmers or Volkswagen.

Our Government did not even bash Volkswagen over the head for Billions, unlike others.

The Common Market is fine by me, the EU is not.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:21 PM

Glad you accept that EU is scared to death of competition from the UK. This is what leaving the EU means to a lot of people here. We have nothing to be scared of. Being competitive is one of the benefits of leaving the EU along with the ability yo make our own rules.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No Deal is also going to impact the UK.

t is not going to have the massive impact some think on the EU.

The UK has published it's Standard Tariffs, so a lot of EU Exports to the UK will be Tariff Free or a minimal tariff.

The EU is more protectionist than the UK, so is not changing it's Tariff Schedule.

As regards fisheries, who is going to catch all the fish that the EU currently catches?

Easily taken up by English Inshore Fleet, but a big issue for the vast amount of our catch which we do not bother with and have neither the boats or the infrastructure in place to process or export.

Most of the UK Catch is devolved, to down to Nicola and CO to decide, not Boris.

I will repeat that the UK Fishery is worth less to the UK Economy than Harrods.

Any fish we land here in the UK will be subject to EU Tariffs and Sanitary Checks, so if the EU is right in it's assessment, it may be wrong, it will cost them nothing as the price will go down and they will use that to subsidise the job losses.

It is a weird world we live in.

I did not vote leave for economic advantage, I voted leave because I did not like the way the EU was going and as others have said, I can vote our lot out, I cannot vote the EU out.

I am not here to subsidies inefficient French Farmers or Volkswagen.

Our Government did not even bash Volkswagen over the head for Billions, unlike others.

The Common Market is fine by me, the EU is not.
That seems to me to be a very good summary. It is too bad that the decision to leave was not like 80/20, 70/30 but more like 50/50.

This leaves a very divided UK where nearly half of the population has to accept an unwanted decision. I hope that will work out fine...

Many discussions imo are about "who suffers more" or "who will be better off". That is a pity because the future relation has to be handled without (bad) feelings and emotions if possible. It has to be handled in an objective manner.

I fully agree with you on this: "The Common Market is fine by me, the EU is not"
Germany

06-07-2020, 12:52 PM

Glad you accept that EU is scared to death of competition from the UK. This is what leaving the EU means to a lot of people here. We have nothing to be scared of. Being competitive is one of the benefits of leaving the EU along with the ability yo make our own rules.
I do not accept that the EU is "scared to death" and I think it is not wise to to so. Don't get me wrong but you seem to imagine things a bit. It is not so hard to understand that the EU cannot allow free market access to a country which does not comply with EU standards. That has nothing to do with real fear. It is just not appropriate.

An example: imagine UK would buy very cheap China made children toys or shoes or something similar which contain toxic substances. Imagine further that those are being made under very low working conditions. The EU does not want the member countries to be flooded with that stuff by a non-member country which is 50 KM away.

Please be happy with your new benefits, I grant them to you. As do the others I think. But kindly try to avoid the hateful approach. Let's handle your exit and the future relations (should there be any) in a mature manner.

Good luck and all the best for the "unleashed British potential"
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 01:47 PM

I really do not think it's correct to describe my approach as "hateful" but, as English may not be your first language, we will pass over it. So if I say the EU are very worried about it would you be happier?

Yes, the EU has standards. The very same standards that allowed horse meat into beef products found in UK supermarkets? Remember that one? The EU can hide behind standards in order to guard against competition. Chlorinated chicken anyone? Here is a link which I am sure you will enjoy reading.
Auf Wiedersehen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21335872
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 01:58 PM

You see here it works like this: If our politicians fail to reach an agreement that satisfies most people then we blame them. We don't blame people who live in France, Germany or Spain. We elect politicians who we think will do the best job for us. If they fail then there's no one else to blame but them. For example, Theresa May made a mess of things. She and her chief negotiator are no longer with us. If Johnson makes a mess of it there will be consequences for him too. It's really quite simple. I'm surprised it doesn't work like that in Europe.
In european countries it works the same way, regarding national issues and individual governments. For a dutchman, or german, french etc. it is the EU negotiating with britain, not their own government. That creates a certain distance but also makes for an acceptance of the results.

Contrary to british news, in the netherlands there is no mention of the trade negotiations. It is no news issue over here. I just googled the dutch newspapers and the only mention was in a businesspaper on 3 june reporting on the restarted talks. Nothing more.
Germany has a little more on the subject, due their presidency of the council.

In fact that is not sp exceptional. In the EU preparations for a (no deal) brexit started in 2018. For many that is the most probable outcome anyway.
The EU has moved on since january this year and is now concentrating on covid. The british trade deal is, on the whole, just small fish compared to other issues.
Germany

06-07-2020, 02:03 PM

I really do not think it's correct to describe my approach as "hateful" but, as English may not be your first language, we will pass over it. So if I say the EU are very worried about it would you be happier?

Yes, the EU has standards. The very same standards that allowed horse meat into beef products found in UK supermarkets? Remember that one? The EU can hide behind standards in order to guard against competition. Chlorinated chicken anyone? Here is a link which I am sure you will enjoy reading.
Auf Wiedersehen

Hello again,

my impression is that many British citizens in this and another Brexit forum take great pleasure from the idea that Brexit shall hurt the EU as much as possible. With "hateful" I did not specifically address you personally. Really I cannot say how worried or frightened or whatever "the EU" is. Maybe some officials are, I don't know. They would not say that in public I guess.

About horse meat: come on do you really want me to say "yes"? Okay I will do you that favour. Yes all EU standards are fake. And all meat producers in the EU are criminals. They even imported British BSE meat from UK to Netherlands and from there to Germany. Villains all over...

By the way horse meat is not so very uncommon in sausages. Many years ago I tried it as they serve it e. g. at christmas markets. But since I have not been eating animals in the last 8 years I cannot say if they still offer it.

Have a good day
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Auf Wiedersehen

As far as I know eating horse meat has no negative health effects in humans. But didn't you send mad cows disease meat to europe? And foot and mouth mutton and sheep?
So british standards may be just as high as those in the EU, but I wouldn't trust boris' fellow countrymen on it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
my impression is that many British citizens in this and another Brexit forum take great pleasure from the idea that Brexit shall hurt the EU as much as possible.
I hope you don't mind me joining in the discussion here.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hope "that Brexit shall hurt the EU as much as possible".

However, for a number of reasons I do dislike the way that the UK has been treated by the EU.

One example that stands out and has been brought to light by the present political discussions is regarding fishing quotas. I have read that we were granted 10% of fishing rights in our own waters, compared to the French being assigned 85%.

I cannot believe that our own politicians ever agreed to this. Perhaps they were given no choice.

I'd be interested to know how you feel about that specific ruling.

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top