Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Know it all neighbour ? not

When we had our second house and decided to build a side flank extn to the semi detached SOp when I eventually got to putting in the main roof timbers, these were something like 3x2" by 8 ft approx can't remember exatly the size. The next door neighbour popped around. I had just got them into position after painting the ends to weatherproof them before they went into position.

No he said far easier to paint them on the ground, well I had to smile and bow down to lesser knowledge. well they were up and fixed in with seperating beams as well between them, so I did them in situ.

Not long aftwards he decided to extend his kitchen further back into the garden. He got to the same stage and had the timbers laid out on the ground and painted them with weather proofing.

I pissed myself the next day laughing, ever seen swan necked timber? yes every single beam had bent -twisted -bowed like you never seen. The whole job was done with scrap material as the worked for the council ,even the building blocks were from knocked down walls different sizes and shapes. Typical Mr Bodge it on the cheap
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Re: Know it all neighbour ? not

Yeah, but he was right about it being easier to paint them
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 02:16 PM

I don't know much about building but having worked mainly on building sites as an apprentice sparks you do tend to pick up some kowledge of other trades. Often asked to lend them a hand as well
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't know much about building but having worked mainly on building sites as an apprentice sparks you do tend to pick up some kowledge of other trades. Often asked to lend them a hand as well
Yep. There's a reason why things are done in particular ways, including how to store timbers so they're less likely to bow
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-07-2020, 03:00 PM

Not long ago I was in a DIY store and trying to get a straight bit of timber was a nighmare. Looking along them lengthways I nearly cleared the rack to find one decent one
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Not long ago I was in a DIY store and trying to get a straight bit of timber was a nighmare. Looking along them lengthways I nearly cleared the rack to find one decent one
Know the feeling. Mind you, have (on more than one occasion) asked for and got discounts for warped/cracked timbers and dinted copper pipe, safe in the knowledge that I was going to cut them down anyway and any crack/bend would be negligible or part of wastage.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 03:08 PM

We all have our own way of doing things, so what?

I would never criticise a neighbour for the way they have done something, it's their house and they have done their best, we aren't all perfect after all.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Deleted
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Ah! B&Q?

I sometimes wonder how they sell some of those. Firewood?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-07-2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We all have our own way of doing things, so what?

I would never criticise a neighbour for the way they have done something, it's their house and they have done their best, we aren't all perfect after all.
Mags normally I would agree but I told him about laying the wood and what would happen but he went ahead anyway.
I am all for have a go yourself but at least know what you are doing first.

If I don't know I go and ask like I did wanting the clay underground waste pipes cutting. I went onto a building site with marked where to cut and asked the site forman if he could help. He got one of his men over and they cut it for me with an electric stone disc cutter. so thankful and he said good for having a go good luck with the build. also advised to get hepsleeve joints to join the pipes up, never heard of them before

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top