Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Re: Adder in my garden !

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! What a find. I bet he was beautiful. Not so good with the dog around though obviously. Funnily enough, on our walk this morning, I saw my first live Slow worm.

Made your day, I would be chuffed.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 12:08 PM

We used to get a few Adders on the top road, but once the railway line cut all the trees & vegetation down they vanished back onto the moor behind the railway, did see them on the moor sometimes. We have had a Grass snake in the garden, it lived under the bottom step off the patio by the pond & it ate most of the pond creatures too. Luckily it disappeared after a few weeks that Summer. We thought it had got all the newts, but not all, some did survive & we now have quite a large colony in the pond.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Eek! That would have given me a fright seeing that head come out of the wall

It's a lovely looking creature though .... at a distance.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Muddy, I am sure you already know, but if Mungo thought it was something to play with and aggravated it, he could easily get bitten and these bites can (but not always) be fatal.

Maybe he already knows it's there? Perhaps he knew before you did?

I understand you need to get a dog to the vets quickly though, day or night. Just ring ahead - and go.

I don't wish to spook you, but for me personally, I would be very nervous, and vigilant.
It's all very well for people to say they won't hurt you, but anyone could tread on them by accident, especially in long grass.

You positive it wasn't a Grass Snake?

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Hi

Adders are dangerous.

Very easy to catch and release in a non dangerous environment.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Adders are dangerous.

Very easy to catch and release in a non dangerous environment.

Not for a novice!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Made your day, I would be chuffed.

It did.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-07-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! What a find. I bet he was beautiful. Not so good with the dog around though obviously. Funnily enough, on our walk this morning, I saw my first live Slow worm.

Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid.
My brother always preferred reptiles to other animals, and he used to keep grass snakes and slow worms when we were kids.
I didn't have a lot to do with them though, as I always preferred our dogs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid.
My brother always preferred reptiles to other animals, and he used to keep grass snakes and slow worms when we were kids.

I was quite worried that it would get run over by the next car that came around the corner but there was no way I was going to touch it.

I hope it made it.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:48 PM

I'd be thrilled to find an Adder!
The other two elusive critters on my list would be a Death's - head Hawkmoth and a Stag Beetle.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top