Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:07 PM

Decorating

Does everyone start decorating with grand ideas of how they should proceed? Well I'm exhausted!! Fortunately I realised that painting a flat ceiling 21' x 13' + a dining area about 9' x 11' was a bit too much given a tear in my shoulder muscle caused by my last lot of decorating - so that's now been done by a "somewhen" "wherever" bloke.

My question is: when going from gloss paintwork to satinwood - my original plan was one coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 following by three(!) coats of Satinwood. ...........are three coats of satinwood really necessary? I feel like I've been sanding and painting forever............. help!!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:13 PM

Re: Decorating

I detest painting ceilings, walls are fine, but ceilings I find it painful and frankly exhausting.

Why are you thinking 3 coats of Satinwood Lindyloo? How about just seeing what it all looks like after the first coat?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I detest painting ceilings, walls are fine, but ceilings I find it painful and frankly exhausting.

Why are you thinking 3 coats of Satinwood Lindyloo? How about just seeing what it all looks like after the first coat?
Satinwood is best applied very thinly, so one coat doesn't cover very well which is why I've always thought it should be built up to three coats.........
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:10 PM

If you flat the gloss down ( sand until dull) then one coat of satin should be enough
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:12 PM

Love building, Hate decorating with a passion.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
If you flat the gloss down ( sand until dull) then one coat of satin should be enough
Think an undercoat might be wise IMHO. But I guess that one of the satin topcoats would suffice as one.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I agree. That's all I ever do and the satin finish lasts for a good while too.

Walls and ceilings - I always use a roller for the main expanse and a brush to cut in the corners.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 04:35 PM

I used to do my own painting but now I have a young man here doing my stair well! I had to wait after the lock down and to save up the cost, but he is packing up here now for the day and will be back in the morning, finishing about 3 then. The dog is having a sleepover with her doggy day carer, giving me a much needed night off!!

I used to love doing my own but at the age of nearly 68 I'm done. Nowadays I pay someone else to do it. I could manage a small wall or a door but nothing on the grander scale. This chap did my painting before I moved in, 4 rooms.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I agree. That's all I ever do and the satin finish lasts for a good while too.

Walls and ceilings - I always use a roller for the main expanse and a brush to cut in the corners.

I always use a brush for walls and ceilings. I can't get on with a roller at all. I've tried, but I get so wound up using them, plus it's messy.
I know I could do the work in half the time if only I could get on with the roller.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top