Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 05:17 PM

What Is It With Polo Neck Jumpers?!!

Is it me? Is it my neck? What is it?

It doesn't matter what polo neck jumper I buy, they are never cheap or I could understand. I get them from M&S or Wallis to wear under my jackets, long cardi's or loose shirts

Regardless of the fact that I always wash my woollens by hand with Lux Flakes, and then rinse each one throughly, each three times with clean water, squeezing any excess out each time, then hanging them flat to dry, still the necks on them never stay as good and as neatly fitting as when they were new.
I always end up with a polo neck that has become larger and starting to turn down on itself after a few washes.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong with the wash? I have even bought one a size smaller but ended up feeling as though I was choking when it was new and looking like Bridget Bardoe it was so tight!
I must be doing something wrong with the wash, but I will be damned if I know what. It's so annoying.

Help! Is it just me or does this happen to you as well?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Re: What Is It With Polo Neck Jumpers?!!

I love polo necks. I buy mostly the ribbed ones. I always buy acrylic ones and wash them on a gentle cool wash. No tumble dryer, dry over a clothes horse and they should be fine.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:58 PM

I don’t like the feel of them next to my skin .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:27 PM

I think you either love them or loathe them Muddy.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don’t like the feel of them next to my skin .
Neither do I, Muddy. I like round or v necked.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:47 PM

Buy crew necks SG and wear a tastefully fastened scarf.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I love polo necks. I buy mostly the ribbed ones. I always buy acrylic ones and wash them on a gentle cool wash. No tumble dryer, dry over a clothes horse and they should be fine.

Thanks Roxy, I have never washed them in the machine though, I only ever wear one twice and then wash it. Well, I say wash it, When I lived in London many years ago, a friend's fashion designer father gave me this tip which I have always followed. He told me that the way to keep jumpers looking as fresh as the day bought, was to never wear them more than twice before washing, to fill a bowl with warm water, put the Lux flakes in, swish it around, place the jumper in and let it soak for 10 minutes without touching it. Then rinse it out three times in clean water each time after gently squeezing out the water from the jumper each time.then lay the jumper out flat to dry.

I have always followed this advice with all our woollens, and it's true, but it's just those pesky polo neck jumpers that never seem to stay snug after a few washes.
I don't have a thick neck where it could have become stretched, and a couple of them are indeed ribbed necks, so I am baffled.

Maybe I should write to Marks and Wallis to ask them just why this happens. or perhaps just stick to wearing my Cowl neck jumpers to save me worrying.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:57 PM

SG, l always associate Polo necks with.... hiding love bites!

I can’t wear polo necks these days, as they irritate my neck.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, l always associate Polo necks with.... hiding love bites!

I can’t wear polo necks these days, as they irritate my neck.
Phew! you are so right Art! many a polo neck or scarf saved my life back in the good old newly teenage years! and that is all I am prepared to say. Anyone remember Panstick? a quick fix cover up for love bites.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Buy crew necks SG and wear a tastefully fastened scarf.
Honestly Carol, me and crew necked jumpers just do not get on. if I wear one with a blouse, the blouse collar on the outside either ends up with one collar in, one collar out, or meant to be worn outside and ends up inside. We just don't gel well.

I love my polo necks, cowl necks and v necked jumpers.
Even my lounge tops worn with my PJ's are cowl necked.
Love em.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top