Join for free
Page 1635 of 1676 « First < 635 1135 1535 1585 1625 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1645 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 10:55 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yep, for a time I was "Part of the Union", we didn't get more cash, we got more percentages, trouble was, the local shops etc, did not accept percentages.
Yes Spitty, percentages are fine on paper.

Some of those old stingy employers would have you think they were doing you a favour by letting you sweat for them for buttons.

I’m not greedy, never was, a fair days pay for a fair days work ensures contentment amongst the non greedy.

I even told one miserable old git that I’d gladly work for nothing in his beautiful shiny new workshop, only problem was that folks keep knocking on my door every weekend looking for money off me, rentmen, coal men, insurance men, HP men, bread men etc.,
Not only that but the electric company says they’ll leave me in the dark if I don’t give them money quickly, and the kids need shoes too.
So you see my predicament Sir.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:00 PM

I was watching the President’s inauguration today, some great celebrities performing for him too.

Great to listen to a sane man making a good calm reassuring speech of unification to a troubled nation, that’s the essence of good politics in my humble opinion.
I sincerely wish all Americans peace, prosperity, and good luck with their new President.

One lady who sang the national anthem and I’ve heard of but never heard her singing was Lady Gaga. She has a wonderful voice in my opinion.

Probably the reason I never tuned into her before was her name, it put me off straight away, it could be a sub conscience thing with me because in the Dublin of my boyhood ‘Ga ga’, and pardon me for being rude, meant children’s shit, I kid you not, any Dubliner of my generation will confirm that fact, especially the wives who had to clean all the ga ga off the cloth nappies before washing them, yukidy yuk yuk!

Never liked that Queen song either “Radio Ga Ga”, God knows there’s enough shit on the radio as it is.

So you can understand why her name was shit as far as I was concerned, but after hearing her today I was pleasantly surprised and shall enjoy her voice for ever after.

I was reading that corvid 19 was discovered in a batch of ice cream in China the other day. luckily they were on the ball and able to trace the batch and destroy it before it caused any harm.

Scary when you think it can get into foodstuffs, makes you extra cautious.

The wife was going out to the bread shop today, as she was going out the door I absentmindedly said to her, “Make sure you don’t get Hovis 19”

But it was her reply that really baffled me, it was a classic Phyllis conundrum.

“Thanks Jem, I always knew you had more sense than brains”.
Figure that one out if you can.

Good old Mitch Miller, lets all hope for happier days ahead for all of us.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:12 PM

First time I saw Ga ga's face today, fit Bird, old habits die hard.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 10:58 AM

I never worked directly for a woman, but worked alongside many of them. I can't think of a one that wasn't as good as the blokes, and in many cases were better at the job.

As I said before, sexism and bigotry were rife throughout the site, 13,500 employees when I started, but thankfully was not the norm.

A woman working in an office in any capacity, admin or engineer, would barely get a comment.

A woman walking through the shop floor could be traced by the catcalls and banging of hard things on other hard things. I heard tell of one well endowed lady who was subjected to this. After she had walked a short distance she stopped, turned to the men making the noise and said in a loud voice, "What's the matter, have you never seen a pair of effing tits before?"
Respect to her.

Over years that sort of thing faded away, partly because of rules and legislation, and partly due to an increasing number of women in all parts of the workplace.

I was a union man. It wasn't a closed shop and I was invited to join. Several of the union members were good enough to tell me it wasn't compulsory and it was entirely up to me.

I did join but gradually become disillusioned with the whole thing, so when someone suggested I would make a good union rep, I threw my name in the hat and got voted in. I wanted to change things from the inside.

I turned round a meeting of all the senior reps where the full time rep and his henchman were calling for an overtime ban. The members I represented didn't want one.
The senior rep said this was a problem and "we" needed to change their minds. I said that, no, I was representing the views of my members, not imposing your ideas on them.
Another rep than said the same thing about his members, and after a debate on ethics, the ban was thrown out.

Like I said, changing things from the inside.

I went up against my boss, his boos, and a very senior HR chappy once because my lot couldn't (wouldn't) cover a particular job at weekends (because by then we didn't get paid for on-site overtime).
Instead we had an agreement and boosted salary to work unpaid overtime, then take the time off later.

The meeting started with the HR chap being very aggressive and "in your face", quoting "the rules" and the agreement.
Then I produced my evidence. The hourly paid chaps and chapesses were asked to work overtime over a week in advance. We only had three chaps from our side who were trained to do the particular job in question. Two had been given two days notice, and the other only one day.

Then I showed him that the department had worked in excess of 700 hours of overtime across all trades, it was increasing day on day, nobody was being given the time off that they had accrued, and it was always the same group of about a dozen people who bore the brunt of this work which was the opposite of what the agreement said.

By the end of the meeting he was sitting back and telling my boss and his boss that they needed to do something about this to make sure everyone got the time off they deserved.

I don't miss any of it now except the insults and banter that was the fuel that kept the department going.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 11:23 AM

Yep was in a closed shop to start with, but, would have joined regardless, what was amusing was the fact that management and workers belonged in the same Peer Group, but were encouraged to do the bidding of the political illuminati.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-01-2021, 11:57 PM

"What's the matter, have you never seen a pair of effing tits before?"

Good for you Fruity, the worst of being quiet and taking everything that's thrown at you is they take advantage of this and walk all over you, anyway as soon as I knew enough about the game and had enough to finance meself (with great help from my Dad) I went solo and to hell with bosses, the best thing I ever did and I've never looked back since.
All finished now, me old eyes are worn out and I just potter about the shed, but I can still do a job now and then using a good magnification light.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-01-2021, 12:05 AM

The wife has only one soap program that she watches religiously three times a week.
Thank God, and I consider myself lucky for that, it’s only half an hour long so I don’t mind enduring it, I don’t watch it but you can’t help overhearing some of the crap when it’s on.

Tonight, as far as I could make out, an old Aunt was giving advice to her young single nephew, he was becoming involved with a married woman who’s husband was working away from home, and she was trying her best to discourage him, it was all baloney to me but the words that hit me were her final words to the young man.

“You’re a young man Brian, you have your whole life ahead of you, you want to find yourself an uncomplicated woman and settle down”

An “uncomplicated woman”???, where would the poor chap find one of those I ask yeh!, it would be easier to find the holy grail.

Surely she misread the script and meant an unattached woman?

I still can’t get over that, an uncomplicated woman, there ain’t been one born yet me oul Son.

I’ve never heard a cow sing nor ever a heifer humming
It’s not in their nature you see
And there never existed an uncomplicated woman
I’m sure most men would agree.

Still we love ‘em and can’t do without them, bless them all.
“A man without a woman is like a fish without a tail” (song ’Silver Dollar’ 1955.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 12:07 AM

I had been looking forward to beginning a course of Silver Smithing last Autumn, Jem, but - thanks to C19 - it didn't happen. Am sort of muddling through on my own - don't like to be beaten. At least I am now fairly competent with a soldering iron! Gives the cats something to laugh at anyway!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-01-2021, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I had been looking forward to beginning a course of Silver Smithing last Autumn, Jem, but - thanks to C19 - it didn't happen. Am sort of muddling through on my own - don't like to be beaten. At least I am now fairly competent with a soldering iron! Gives the cats something to laugh at anyway!
The course will no doubt pop up again Silver.
Good news about the soldering and keep at it, there are only three basic things to learn, using the blowtorch soldering, using the files, and using the sawframe, once you get used to using them you can make anything you wish, and with your imagination the choices are endless.
You will rough up your hands a bit from filing but your fingers will toughen up after a while, it you get a burn on your fingers while soldering rub you finger through your hair straight away for a few seconds, this will prevent a blister. Keep me posted on your progress and if you want any tips just ask me.
Best of luck GOLDIE!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-01-2021, 11:20 PM

I always wondered why there are so many little buggy things or robots forever roaming around forums, nearly always more of them than ’signed in’ members.

I was shocked to see this in an article relating to spotting people who broke into the White House recently.

“Facial recognition firm Clearview said, “We have over 3 billion photos that we indexed from the public internet.”

3 BILLION !! That’s a hell of a lot of heads to have on their books without the folks permission, I like the way they say “indexed” from the public internet instead of “Nicked”.

Now you have your mug shot taken before you even contemplate committing a crime.

At least in the old days you had to be arrested before they could take took finger prints, let alone your photo.

All our mugs are on file now and there’s nothing we can do about it, we are all suspects waiting for a suitable crime to happen, God preserve us all, welcome to the new “free world”.

Drat!! My cunning plan for another Hatton Garden job are well and truly scuppered now.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have gone through three pairs of good slippers in the three lockdowns so far, the slipper business has never had it so good since this pandemic hit us, good luck to them, it’s an ill wind an all that.

But then you have the other side of the coin, the leather shoe and boot makers must be having it rough as nobody is going out to wear them out, and if they do go out they can only go so far, so you lose on slippers and gain on leather, balance, that’s what it’s all about I suppose.

Long time since I heard Nancy Sinatra singing this, ah memories of back in 1966, when figures were figures and legs were legs, feast yer eyes on this lot lads.

Page 1635 of 1676 « First < 635 1135 1535 1585 1625 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1645 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top