Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 07:18 AM

Re: Self-Scan

I was confused,you are all talking about self scan not self check out
Does anyone remember going into a store and the assistant got a chair for your mother to seat on while he went off with her list?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I always use the self-scan facility when I shop in Tesco; it’s quicker and easier than going through the tills. Sometimes, when you get to the checkout, you find that you’ve been selected for a random check. I found that I had been selected for a random check this morning. Among my shopping was a pack of two electric toothbrush brush heads, which had a little security tag attached. When the assistant came to check my shopping, I mentioned the tag, as I needed her to remove it. Because of that, the brushes were the first thing she checked, which got things off to a bad start because they got flagged up as not having been scanned by me. This, she told me, required her to do a complete scan of all my shopping.

I don’t know if she thought I had deliberately neglected to scan the brushes. She didn’t show any sign of thinking that, but one can’t help but wonder. If I had intentionally avoided scanning them I would, of course, have picked up a five pack, rather than a two. Anyway, she emptied all my bags, rescanned all my shopping and then repacked it considerably more neatly than I had done, which seemed some consolation for the delay.
I have never heard of anyone checking shopping, the bag scales seem accurate to the micro gram.

I had a self serve checkout refuse to continue after I bunged some bananas in my bag. When I called the girl over she weighed the banana again and said they couldn't have been on the scales completely because they were heavier than the weight on the screen. She just replaced them in my bag but didn't change the price just used her card to tell the machine to go on.

Actually I had the machine stuff up yesterday because it complained there was something in the bagging area (my bag) I scanned the milk before pressing "I am using my own bag" and that also bought proceedings to a halt but the girl came straight over flashed her card and we were on our way again in seconds.

However it is certainly true that avocados are much cheaper when scanned as potatoes, not that I would do that, I don't like avocados.

Covid has made the self serving checkout girl's life much harder now she has to sanitize each terminal between customers but, gee, they are good at it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have never heard of anyone checking shopping, the bag scales seem accurate to the micro gram.
You are thinking of the self service checkout. Self-scan is where you take a hand held scanner round the store with you and scan each item as you put it in your basket. When you get to the checkout, you just point the scanner at the screen and it asks for your payment. There is no weighing involved.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 09:53 AM

I use the hand held self scanner ..my shopping was checked once the assistant told me the computer instructs on random checks and it was me that day....I was quite proud that I had no queries so thank goodness for that...the problems start when you get half way round the store and there is a multi buy offer on something you have already scanned once on a single item....it all gets a bit confusing
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Does anyone remember going into a store and the assistant got a chair for your mother to seat on while he went off with her list?
P, In my post, l was referring to the self check outs.

Sorry for not being precise! Please forgive me, l beg your mercy!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
So, he ran off with her list did he?: why did he go off with it?lol:
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I haven't tried them either ST .

The price of the goods I pay for in the supermarket has factored in the cost of wages.
I am not employed by the supermarket neither do I wish to see till workers deprived of their jobs and more tills becoming self scan therefore when I eventually come out of self isolation and use supermarkets I will continue to select my goods and have an assistant deal with them
That's a bogus argument Meg, when most people on here prefer to use the delivery service that supermarkets provide so tills are not used at all, it all comes from a warehouse. Furthermore, everyone who buys things on the internet (Amazon etc) are responsible the closure of many famous high street stores....How many jobs lost now? Not to mention saving a few quid and buying Chinese and other foreign products instead of buying British?
I think the 'Self Scan' job worries pale into insignificance considering the above...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 01:53 PM

We certainly use Amazon without a second thought. The High Street is so "yesterday".

Parking difficulty, parking cost, paying more than I need because of the overheads that retail outlets must pay and of course pass on, and as for British made, so much is rubbish compared with Far East manufactured goods (yes!) and that's just for starters.

What a lot of people don't realise is that a lot of things bought on Amazon are actually bought via Amazon and are at a lower price than if sold in isolation not to mention that Amazon offer a bigger route to market for them and of course appropriate taxes ARE paid by Amazon. BREXIT will affect some items though due to VAT having to be charged and paid in the UK as opposed to a lower rate in the EU but that's a can of worms in its own right.

The town centre is dead, retail parks out of town have replaced them which together with home delivery from supermarkets have changed the game. High Streets? They're a thing that very soon people will be laughing at and rightly too.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 03:06 PM

I did self scan quite a big shop.( for me ) about £50 all went well I put in pay by debit card , scanned card , packed up the stuff and started to walk out the supermarket . I almost got to the door , staff member stopped me , she said madam your debit card didnt go through ......omg .....I had to return to the till with her and start the payment procedure again . I wasn't embarrassed as it was a genuine mistake .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We certainly use Amazon without a second thought. The High Street is so "yesterday".

Parking difficulty, parking cost, paying more than I need because of the overheads that retail outlets must pay and of course pass on, and as for British made, so much is rubbish compared with Far East manufactured goods (yes!) and that's just for starters.

What a lot of people don't realise is that a lot of things bought on Amazon are actually bought via Amazon and are at a lower price than if sold in isolation not to mention that Amazon offer a bigger route to market for them and of course appropriate taxes ARE paid by Amazon. BREXIT will affect some items though due to VAT having to be charged and paid in the UK as opposed to a lower rate in the EU but that's a can of worms in its own right.

The town centre is dead, retail parks out of town have replaced them which together with home delivery from supermarkets have changed the game. High Streets? They're a thing that very soon people will be laughing at and rightly too.
The point I was making Todger, was that people are being hypocritical by saying that using the Self Scan is putting jobs at risk in the supermarkets, when in reality it's buying off the internet that has been responsible for the loss of more jobs than Arthur Scargill was....

I agree with you about with you about the main streets in town and city centres though, but I'm gutted about the loss of big department stores, some of us like to physically hold and inspect a product before buying it. And it's a good day out as well....

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top