Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 03:27 PM

Re: Spending Review: Chancellor to set out government spending plans

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Thank you.

At first glance it seems quite reasonable given the circumstances.
No doubt some will disagree ..................
It sounds reasonable to me. Teachers were on this morning, moaning that they were to get a wage freeze. Oh come on, I know teachers that sat at home for most of the Summer and got paid for it. Let's give the money to the nurses who put their lives at risk daily, as the plan suggests.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
The same principal applies - or would you rather continue seeing funds intended to ease suffering instead being diverted to wars and dictatorships?
I was surprised at his views
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It sounds reasonable to me. Teachers were on this morning, moaning that they were to get a wage freeze. Oh come on, I know teachers that sat at home for most of the Summer and got paid for it. Let's give the money to the nurses who put their lives at risk daily, as the plan suggests.
I agree - the NHS is seeing a big increase in funding and NHS workers will get a raise.
As for teachers, well:
"The schools budget will increase next year by £2.2bn with every pupil enjoying a funding increase of at least 2pc, Mr Sunak said".
Fair enough IMHO, as I said before.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ew-key-points/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 05:18 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-55062425

Today's assessment from the Office for Budget Responsibility confirmed not just that the pandemic hit the UK economy this year by the biggest amount in three centuries, 11.3%, but that it was also set to be the hardest hit of all the G7 major industrialised nations*.

It also said that government borrowing in this year was 19% of the size of the economy, a peacetime record, just under £400bn in one year.
* That was true back in the First Wave, too ..... along with the highest Death Rate .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 05:24 PM

The Spending Review was the "good" news - we have have to wait for the Budget for the "bad" news - tax changes .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-55062425

* That was true back in the First Wave, too ..... along with the highest Death Rate .....
You missed a bit:
"And yet the paradox is that next year the amount of money it costs to fund that debt will also reach a post-war record: a record low."

Borrow while it's cheap!

As for the worst in the G7 I'm calling that out.
Tell us, how is Italy doing?*

Your death rate statement is a lie too.

"Debt is already set to hit almost 160% of gross domestic product this year"
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...n-lockdown-aid
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

25-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Among the major decisions in the 2020 Spending Review were:

• The NHS in England will get an extra £6.3bn to help meet the government's commitment to get the NHS budget to £148.5bn by 2023-24
  • Schools in England have been promised an extra £2.2bn in 2021-22, taking total spending to £49.8bn
  • Defence will get an extra £16.5bn over four years
  • The government's target for overseas aid spending will be cut from 0.7% of national income to 0.5%,
  • A new £4bn levelling up fund for upgrading infrastructure such as roads
All fine by me .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:49 AM

Among the major decisions in the 2020 Spending Review were:

All fine by me .....
You have to wonder how much is new money. Some changes this year have expectations of organisations "finding" money internally. Eg local authorities. This means passing on costs to taxpayers in the form of higher council tax etc.

The nursing increase was part of a 3 year deal already accounted for.

New roads and infrastructure. How much is the HS2 gravy train?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You have to wonder how much is new money. Some changes this year have expectations of organisations "finding" money internally. Eg local authorities. This means passing on costs to taxpayers in the form of higher council tax etc.

The nursing increase was part of a 3 year deal already accounted for.

New roads and infrastructure. How much is the HS2 gravy train?
I think borrowing £400bn (so far this year) helps the Chancellor but that's not enough to help everyone, especially when some of the money is spent unwisely (pointless furlough - £100bn+, disastrous Track, Test & Trace - £12bn, faulty PPE procurement - £10bn, etc., etc.) ......
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 01:34 PM

I think borrowing £400bn (so far this year) helps the Chancellor but that's not enough to help everyone, especially when some of the money is spent unwisely (pointless furlough - £100bn+, disastrous Track, Test & Trace - £12bn, faulty PPE procurement - £10bn, etc., etc.) ......

Will the real Captain Hindsight please stand up

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top