Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Re: Sky News ...

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We also eat a lot of mackerel, herring sole and bass

What are you on about ?
Hi

The realities of life, not the fantasies.

We import cod and haddock and export far more mackerel and herring than we eat.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The realities of life, not the fantasies.

We import cod and haddock and export far more mackerel and herring than we eat.

Why do you think that is then ?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 04:26 PM

Why do you think that is then ?
Is it because I (like most Brirish people) can't stand rollmop herrings?
Or is it because our waters have been stripped of the fish we do eat after centuries of overfishing, and that our consumption of fish like Mackerel and Herring has declined as other countries took most of the catch for decades?

I used to love a good smoked herring for breakfast, but buying them now isn't easy & when you can find them they're more expensive than a prime steak!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 05:01 PM

Sky news are now doing non stop promotion of the EU vaccination program.

Somebody needs to tell them they are celebrating failure.
This morning the BBC News Channel were showing how the Czech PM (or was it their President?) had the 1st jab there yesterday and I thought, "What a tosser, pulling rank like that!" Then, as I thought some more about it, I realised he could claim to be showing the populace that the vaccine was safe enough for him to have it. It just goes to show how spin can paint different pictures of the same news item.

We also eat a lot of mackerel, herring sole and bass

What are you on about ?
There was an interview on ITV News with a Turkish truck driver (he'd just crossed over from Calais) who said he had a load of frozen sea bass on board for the British market. I've looked into this and, it seems, the Turks are big sea bass farmers (like the Scots are with salmon).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Or is it because our waters have been stripped of the fish we do eat after centuries of overfishing, and that our consumption of fish like Mackerel and Herring has declined as other countries took most of the catch for decades?

I used to love a good smoked herring for breakfast, but buying them now isn't easy & when you can find them they're more expensive than a prime steak!
Reminds me of when Marge and I visited a Portuguese lady friend of ours when on the Continent.
She introduced us to her 'fish and chips' (without the chips) which, I think, may have been herrings.
It is their custom to eat the fish, head, tail and all.
I was quite hesitant at first but...

well, I survived.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
This morning the BBC News Channel were showing how the Czech PM (or was it their President?) had the 1st jab there yesterday and I thought, "What a tosser, pulling rank like that!" Then, as I thought some more about it, I realised he could claim to be showing the populace that the vaccine was safe enough for him to have it. It just goes to show how spin can paint different pictures of the same news item.

There was an interview on ITV News with a Turkish truck driver (he'd just crossed over from Calais) who said he had a load of frozen sea bass on board for the British market. I've looked into this and, it seems, the Turks are big sea bass farmers (like the Scots are with salmon).
A lot of farmed bass comes from Portugal too. It's horrid ... best to get wild bass if you can
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 06:03 PM

A lot of farmed bass comes from Portugal too. It's horrid ... best to get wild bass if you can
Marge and I tried some Dover Sole the other day, cooked in its skin.
Having managed to remove one layer of skin, I found a thin area of meat, then a large mass of bones which didn't like being removed from the even thinner layer of meat underneath.
Well, the bits of meat were not unpleasant, but was the difficulty in getting to it really worth it?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

27-12-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

We don't have the species quotas
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

27-12-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge and I tried some Dover Sole the other day, cooked in its skin.
Having managed to remove one layer of skin, I found a thin area of meat, then a large mass of bones which didn't like being removed from the even thinner layer of meat underneath.
Well, the bits of meat were not unpleasant, but was the difficulty in getting to it really worth it?

Yeah not great. My mate microwaves his fish then lifts the bones out
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Yeah not great. My mate microwaves his fish then lifts the bones out
I'll tell Marge to try that next time.

I'll be sure to let you know what happened to me.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top