Join for free
Page 27 of 27 « First < 17 25 26 27
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:28 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think you missed some of what l said Zaphod?
The bit where l said we should be making and issueing the terms
and conditions for the use of?
I did not suggest kicking anybody out of anything ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
I haven't missed it.
If you look I said "we have done that, and indeed we have very clearly issued "the terms and conditions for use of our fishing facilities".

Just because some people do not like how we have issued those terms and conditions (both here and in the EU, I should point out) does not mean that the UK have not issued them.

Ooh and I didn't say that you had said anything about kicking anybody out.
That is there as proof that we control our seas.
You can't kick anybody out of something that's not yours.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
In one word: protectionism.
It really is that simple.
Sometimes it can be used for good, as with steel dumping.
You confuse competiveness with dumping l think Zaph ??
Also market forces don't entail any protectionism do they??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You confuse competiveness with dumping l think Zaph ??
Also market forces don't entail any protectionism do they??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
No I am not confusing competetiveness with dumping and neither were discussed as such nor indeed within the same post.
I described tariffs as a protectionist device, not market forces.

I do not want to appear rude but you are misinterpreting what I have said, and not for the first time.
Please re-read my comments and if you really can't understand the content then feel free to ask legitimate questions.

A little reading that might help you:
https://simplicable.com/new/market-forces

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ier-basics.asp

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
There is a good documentary on BBC iPlayer about the Spanish poly tunnels and how much of it ends up in the sea. It's quite an eye opener - check out "The Mediterranean" with Simon Reeve
That's the programme I was thinking about. Thanks for reminding me, Bread.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It wasn't my assertion it's what John Redwood implies in his diary. Ref Spain you are right and I don't want to see the beautiful British countryside look like that. I mean in Spain there isn't much to blight. It's where they used to film westerns once upon a time. But do we want that here? We are the best market for their polytunnels because we don't really care how our tomatoes taste.

So where do we send our lamb? It's not that popular a meat in much of Europe. Do we sell it to the Middle East?
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So where do you buy your tomatoes? I've rarely found anything to rival tomatoes that you have as standard in many European countries. We import most of ours from Spain it seems. Where do the British tomatoes go? Where do the tastiest strawberries find their way? Where does Welsh lamb end up? Is there a secret place that all these wonderful things ae sold (other than posh farmer's markets or other places where they are super expensive)?
Since returning from Italy, I've yet to buy a really tasty tomato, including any grown commercially in the UK. Now I have my own garden, I shall be growing my own, just as my late lamented dad did in the 1960s, 70 and 80s. Any excess to my requirements I shall be sharing with my immediate neighbours.

As for lamb, you should see how much lamb is imported into Italy. It comes in by the freezer-truck load almost on the hour, every hour. The Italians can't get enough of English/Welsh lamb especially at Easter.

Page 27 of 27 « First < 17 25 26 27

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top