Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:50 AM

Pricing A Job

You need a job doing... Do you prefer to be charged by the hour or a price to do the lot?
I prefer a price to do the lot and in writing.
Have you ever been caught out for accepting either method?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Re: Pricing A Job

No man does any job for me, unless they give me a price , I’ve been caught with these hourly rates, by some, not a chance In Henry of that ever happening again!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Depends on the size and complexity of the works. I have spent many years pricing and quoting for construction and civil engineering works and there is no "one size fits all" method.

However for a householder wanting a small simple job doing such as a garden wall or some plumbing doing such as a new bathroom for instance, then as a rule of thumb usually the better method is and "all in" price, but for bigger more complex jobs, then the ideal is a full breakdown of quantities and specifications which can be priced accurately, along with a contract which specifies the extent of the works, the responsibilities of both parties and the final cost.

It is quite usual for bigger contracts to be paid in stages as works are proceeding, but remember, whatever the size of the job never pay anything in advance, and if asked to do so then look elsewhere for a contractor!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:08 PM

iBy the hour is my preference for small jobs

I supply all materials ready on site.

The tradesmen can turn up as and when to suit them.

I pay cash on the day.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:11 PM

I agree with Barry, most jobs involve the materials cost which are sort of fixed whoever gets the job, the only variable is the labour cost, you have to ask for the material cost and check the proposed time scale so you can make a comparison on hourly rate, but, trust and standard of work is a consideration on the labour cost.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:29 PM

In domestic construction, landscaping etc, I always think (because wage inflation has been neutral for so long) £50.00 per hour is a reasonable labour rate, don't know what anyone else thinks.
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:42 PM

having lived in this house for 36 years, most workmen are the same year after year so i know them well, they do the job and tell me at the end how much, usually cash. Bit surprised during the lockdown two of my regular workmen have asked for bank transfers
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:35 PM

I always quoted for materials and labour separately, that way it shows just how much materials cost these days. Personally, I prefer an all in price but can appreciate that sometimes there are added costs.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You need a job doing... Do you prefer to be charged by the hour or a price to do the lot?
I prefer a price to do the lot and in writing.
Have you ever been caught out for accepting either method?
Always been fixed price. But then my field was industrial. Fixed price. That was the norm and reflected by my domestic activities when local tradesmen were involved.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:01 PM

Usually a fixed price except when it comes to tracing out an electrical fault as you never know how long it will take to trace and repair, then it's on an hourly time and materials basis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top