Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Big Brother

In the old days, there was much concern about the everyday impingement of "Big Brother" into folks personal affairs, this was "pre" the internet revolution. Nowadays folks rush hand over foot to volunteer such info through the various social networks, online banking, Email, mobile telephony, the question is, do folks now trust "Big Brother". or is that they now can't be bothered either way, or do the true "Big Brother Phobics" avoid all such mediums at all costs?.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Re: Big Brother

Oh yes big brother has arrived alright , 30 years later than predicted but well and truly established now, you leave your house and walk into town and you are on camera all the time, even if you hop on a bus you are still on camera, some places even have them in toilets, you are not safe in the house either, your computer and phone all give information to those who collect it. I have 4 cameras around my own house for security, 2 visible and 2 hidden, I can see the complete outside of the house at the touch of a button and that's handy.
I think we are all used to it now, well I am seeing that I live in a city, but it's not so much big brother that annoys me as big Nanny forcing unwanted protection laws on us and banning everything she thinks might harm us, I think Nanny is doing far more damage than Brother, she has already raised a brood of spoilt youngsters, I thing Nanny will be the ruination of the western world.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:30 AM

I don't suffer the paranoia over big brother mainly because I don't really do anything that it would bother me if someone was watching; to be honest, I think they probably got bored of watching anything I was up to a long time ago!

Originally Posted by Jem ->
nny forcing unwanted protection laws on us and banning everything she thinks might harm us, I think Nanny is doing far more damage that Brother, she has already raised a brood of spoilt youngsters, I thing Nanny will be the ruination of the western world.
Now the nanny state does bother me - big time!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:15 AM

I am not overly concerned, "Big Brother" has always been there to some extent with the ability to monitor much of what we do.
When I first started to go out with my husband I was shocked to find that because of the nature of his work my personal details and those of members of my family would also be checked. I had nothing to hide so was not overly concerned.

To turn this around some of the things 'Big Brother' does helps to keep us safe .
One of the many jobs I have had (in order to put my son through university I had 4 at one time) was monitoring personal alarms for the elderly and our center also monitored CCTV in a local town. I think we saved a number of lives of elderly people, one method was calling out to them at a certain time each day and if they failed to respond getting someone to check up on them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I don't suffer the paranoia over big brother mainly because I don't really do anything that it would bother me if someone was watching; to be honest, I think they probably got bored of watching anything I was up to a long time ago!

Now the nanny state does bother me - big time!

Completely agree with you !

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am not overly concerned, "Big Brother" has always been there to some extent with the ability to monitor much of what we do.
When I first started to go out with my husband I was shocked to find that because of the nature of his work my personal details and those of members of my family would also be checked. I had nothing to hide so was not overly concerned.

To turn this around some of the things 'Big Brother' does helps to keep us safe .
One of the many jobs I have had (in order to put my son through university I had 4 at one time) was monitoring personal alarms for the elderly and our center also monitored CCTV in a local town. I think we saved a number of lives of elderly people, one method was calling out to them at a certain time each day and if they failed to respond getting someone to check up on them.
It does indeed keep many people safe so I don't have too many worries.

Social networking however does worry me people reveal far too much in many cases.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:35 AM

I have no concerns with cc tv cameras, in fact I wish there were more of them in suburban streets ( where we live) might catch a few hoon drivers and drunken louts who delight in ripping up peoples gardens whilst staggering home from the pubs

I do think that PC has gone ott
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Social networking however does worry me people reveal far too much in many cases.
Julie I don't really class social network sites as BB because most of the information is freely given by people without anyone requesting it from them .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Completely agree with you !
Crikey - that must be a first

Now, I see that as a symptom of the nanny state - thinking everyone has the potential to do you harm when, in reality, most people won't. The worst case I've ever been exposed to was being followed by a man for weeks and I didn't notice until I got home one day and there he was, sitting on my settee - you don't have to go on a forum to attract weirdos, it can happen anywhere without any input from you whatsoever; but it rarely does happen.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Now, I see that as a symptom of the nanny state - thinking everyone has the potential to do you harm when, in reality, most people won't. The worst case I've ever been exposed to was being followed by a man for weeks and I didn't notice until I got home one day and there he was, sitting on my settee - you don't have to go on a forum to attract weirdos, it can happen anywhere without any input from you whatsoever; but it rarely does happen.
oh the piano tuner?
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 10:09 AM

oh the piano tuner? blind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top