Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Re: School teacher abduction case

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I've not been following this Pats, so don't know the detail. It was just my initial thought that 5 years (it is) seemed a bit harsh, when compared with some of the other sentences which have been handed out for similar offences. It was classed as abduction, but I did read that the girl said she would commit suicide if he didn't go away with her, so although I know it was very wrong of him - he betrayed the trust that goes with being a teacher, etc. - it does seem that it wasn't all one-sided, even though she was under-age. I don't know how long this had been going on between them either. Was she groomed by him, I don't know. He was called a paedophile - although was this one girl his target or were there others; again I don't know the story or any of his history. He should not have become so involved with her that's for sure and he should have left her alone until she was old enough in the eyes of the law.
And that is exactly why they are trying to lower, the age of consent.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Rena - dont you think when she threatened suicide, he should then have gone to the principle of the school .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Rena - dont you think when she threatened suicide, he should then have gone to the principle of the school .....
No I don't think so Pats, why would he do that if he was already heavily involved with her? What was going on was wrong I know, but it was something personal between the two of them. Didn't they both declare they loved each other - It was both of them that intended that no one else should be involved as far as I am aware and I do seriously wonder if it was a relationship of mutual consent and collaboration rather than an abduction. To say it was an abduction in the true sense of the word implies that she was an unwilling participant in the whole thing and I don't think she was - even though she was under-age.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Apologies Rena - I totally overlooked the 'abduction' side of things ... of course it was mutual ... I was purely looking at the relationship starting in the first place, which he could have avoided .....
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
... dont you think when she threatened suicide, he should then have gone to the principle of the school .....
I do, she was vulnerable at that stage and he took advantage of that.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:07 PM

... I do seriously wonder if it was a relationship of mutual consent and collaboration rather than an abduction. To say it was an abduction in the true sense of the word implies that she was an unwilling participant in the whole thing and I don't think she was - even though she was under-age.
It was an abduction purely and simply.

Child abduction is the unauthorized removal of a minor (a child under the age of legal adulthood) from the custody of the child's natural parents or legally appointed guardians.
There are no 'ifs and buts'
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Technically of course you are right Pats, but I think there is a bit of a distinction between the classic abduction of a young child and this situation where someone who is 15 willingly runs away with someone. They both believe they are in love and I think she knew what she was doing and wanted to go with him so they could be together. They planned it together. This situation is a bit different to that of a young person of say 10 being taken against their will.
As I said before, the whole thing was wrong and illegal on the part of this chap and he was weak and should have been the strong one. He is now rightly being punished for his action with a prison sentence, but I don't think the girl was entirely innocent. At 15 very few girls are these days IMO.
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Technically of course you are right Pats, but I think there is a bit of a distinction between the classic abduction of a young child and this situation where someone who is 15 willingly runs away with someone. They both believe they are in love and I think she knew what she was doing and wanted to go with him so they could be together. They planned it together. This situation is a bit different to that of a young person of say 10 being taken against their will.
As I said before, the whole thing was wrong and illegal on the part of this chap and he was weak and should have been the strong one. He is now rightly being punished for his action with a prison sentence, but I don't think the girl was entirely innocent. At 15 very few girls are these days IMO.
A fifrteen year old girl is not capable of making a mature decision and this is why the law is there to protect the underaged from being exploited in this way.

Are you of the opinion that the age of consent should be lowered to 'allow' for such a scenario as this one?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
A fifrteen year old girl is not capable of making a mature decision and this is why the law is there to protect the underaged from being exploited in this way.

Are you of the opinion that the age of consent should be lowered to 'allow' for such a scenario as this one?
No I am not of the opinion that the age of consent should be lowered Pats. However, if the girl had been just a few months older and was 16 when this happened would she have been any more mature and capable of making a mature decision. A person doesn't simply become mature when she reaches a magic age of consent when she can legally have sex, even though the law says so.
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-06-2013, 08:58 PM

No I am not of the opinion that the age of consent should be lowered Pats. However, if the girl had been just a few months older and was 16 when this happened would she have been any more mature and capable of making a mature decision. A person doesn't simply become mature when she reaches a magic age of consent when she can legally have sex, even though the law says so.
We are not just talking about the girl here though are we.

He took advantage of a vunerable young person and abused his position of trust.

He also abducted ( technicaly) her by taking her away from her parents without their consent.

No matter where the girl stands in this, he should have known better and now he is being rightly punished for it.

We can not pick and choose the law that protects our vunerable young people just when it suits us to do so.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top