Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Would you return there?

Nearer the end of this year I plan to have some time off after the rigours of work & clearing out my dear Mum's cottage (she recently passed away) & I've been looking back at some of the places we've been before.

I thought it would be nice & calming to go back to a favourite haunt & just collapse in a heap, safe in the knowledge that we'll know our way around & be able to relax immediately.

So ... there's the wonderfully hot & sleep - inducing Lindos in Rhodes or Elounda in Crete .... pretty & refreshing Mevagissey in Cornwall .... inviting & walker - friendly Looe & Polperro in Cornwall ... or maybe the stunning Elan valley in Wales?

Oh ... & not forgetting Our Gate (at the bottom of our garden!) ... should we stay at home & just chill ... or would I be tempted to do housework & decorating ... I think yes I would so that's no good!

Where would you choose & do you have a favourite place you would go back to?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Re: Would you return there?

It's actually not too far from us. Just a wee Ferry Ride across the Pentland Firth to Shetlend. I love it there.....so peacefull and beautiful. I also like to go to the Viking Fire Ceremony "Up Helly Aa" that's held every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28it-2Cxn7k
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Cathy I am sorry to hear you recently lost your Mother.
If it was places from the recent past I was returning to then yes, longer I think not, some returns to the past can be overwhelmingly painful.

I was messing about on Google maps the other day looking at places I had visited or previously lived in, that was enough for me .

From the recent past I would always go back to Pembrokeshire in Wales . I avoided Wales for most of my life after a disastrous stay in North Wales involving a caravan/cows/broken plates after I first met my husband

I discovered South/West Wales when my son was in his early teens and I love it. We have stayed in many cottages there over the years , it has always been a delight I would go back this moment to any one of them ..
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Roxy that looks like a good night out!

Thank you Meg ... she'd had a good life. I started my happy holidays in Wales with her & my Dad in a small dormabile ... as we called them then! ... but I returned with OH & we walked round some of the many dams & waterfalls & it was glorious.
The Welsh are so friendly & the scenery quite lovely.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 04:38 PM

sorry for your loss, with money not the question would love to redo the Virgin culture china tour, it was amazing. but do love Pontins pakefield as we meet the same people every time and it is like going on holiday with frinds and the prices were good, it has been taken over by Brittaina Hotels and they seem to be closing it down.. Tax loss??
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 04:43 PM

I would go back to Nerja in southern Spain, in fact we have been back 3 times already, it fits us like a pair of comfie slippers

If I were to stay in the UK I would like to explore Devon and Cornwall more, but not necessarily go back to a place we have previously stay in.

Hope what ever you do you enjoy it
jennywren
South West, UK

04-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Thank you seasprite ... we've been to Pakefield Pontins twice ... for a get - together with a Navy association of my OH's. It was really nice there ... comfy, clean & friendly. What a shame it's closing.

I know what you mean Wonda ... some places are like a home from home!
Thank you ... we're veering towards Cornwall at the moment!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wonda ->
I would go back to Nerja in southern Spain, in fact we have been back 3 times already, it fits us like a pair of comfie slippers

If I were to stay in the UK I would like to explore Devon and Cornwall more, but not necessarily go back to a place we have previously stay in.

Hope what ever you do you enjoy it
Me too Wonda, I love the place and been there many tiimes as have friends that live there

Have never been to Scotland or Ireland, so would love to visit those places. They say the best places are probably on your doorstep, so being a newcomer to Wales, there's a lot of exploring to do here as well.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 09:08 PM

I love southern Ireland, but I have travelled to Boston usa a few times, and I love it there. But again there are places closer to home that I also love...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 09:56 PM

So sorry to hear about your Mother, Cathy.

I always go back to the same place when I go on holiday-Peurto Pollensa, Mallorca. Have been quite a few times when my Sister and Hubby have been going there. Love the place, very relaxing and pace of life suits me fine....slow!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top