Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2020, 09:48 PM

Re: Netherlands "NethExit" ?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If I had to put a bet on who would leave next, I'd put a big punt on Spain.

I think they're closer to disaster, if they stay in, than many of the ones mentioned earlier.

I'd say Italy at the moment but to be fair I think the EU is over anyway
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2020, 11:37 PM

If I had to put a bet on who would leave next, I'd put a big punt on Spain.

I think they're closer to disaster, if they stay in, than many of the ones mentioned earlier.
What about Greece?
Mind you, I suppose they are so much in hock to the EU that they have no choice but to stay in.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I'd say Italy at the moment but to be fair I think the EU is over anyway
These holiday countries are right in the firing line as we enter the holiday season.

Lots of villas/rooms but no flights coming in.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 03:34 PM

These holiday countries are right in the firing line as we enter the holiday season.

Not only italy and spain will suffer. Since 2010 tourism has been the fastest growing sector in the UK in employment terms. Britain is forecast to*have a tourism industry worth over £257 billion by 2025 just under 10% of UK GDP and supporting almost 3.8 million jobs, which is around 11% of the total UK number.

Tourism’s impact is amplified through the economy, so its impact is much wider than just the direct spending levels. Deloitte estimates the tourism GVA multiplier to be 2.8 – meaning that for every £1,000 generated in direct tourism GVA there is a further £1,800 that is supported elsewhere in the economy through the supply chain and consumer spending.

Inbound tourism will continue to be the fastest growing tourism sector – with spend by international visitors forecast to grow by over 6% a year in comparison with domestic spending by UK residents at just over 3%. The value of inbound tourism is forecast to grow from over £21bn in 2013 to £57bn by 2025, with the UK seeing an international tourism balance of payments surplus in 2023, almost forty years since the UK last reported a surplus.
https://www.visitbritain.org/visitor-economy-facts
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 03:01 PM

notwithstanding the terrible toll on the virus there, Spain will get no sympathy from me. What now with the Spanish protesters that gleefully spent the whole summer harrassing British holidaymakers in the streets and on the beaches with placards telling them to go home.
What now the extra taxes inflicted on holidaymakers?

One would imagine those same protesters will spend this summer pleading with those same Brits to return to Spain for their holiday and before they go bankrupt.

I hope they get a justifiable big raspberry and a middle finger! We never return to where we were frequently made to feel unwelcome.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
notwithstanding the terrible toll on the virus there, Spain will get no sympathy from me. What now with the Spanish protesters that gleefully spent the whole summer harrassing British holidaymakers in the streets and on the beaches with placards telling them to go home.

One would imagine those same protesters will spend this summer pleading with those same Brits to return to Spain for their holiday and before they go bankrupt.

I hope they get a justifiable big raspberry and a middle finger! We never return to where we were frequently made to feel unwelcome.
Hear hear.

I have no wish to go to Spain again. The only time Marge and I went there, several years ago, was to the historical inland places like Granada and the Alhambra.

These were not crowded with typical British yobs, who tend to favour the sunny beaches, but were visited by much more subdued tourists and we never encountered any of the sort of troubles we hear about when the 'wrong sort' of Brits get together.

I can understand why such Brits are made to feel unwelcome, though that doesn't explain why you were treated in such a fashion, SG.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 06:29 PM

British have been living peacefully in spain for decades. Could there be a reason that the spanish attitude changed?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 07:42 PM

They are still quite new to democracy, Shroppy. Give them another 50 years or so to evolve and we might see some progress.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

07-04-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
They are still quite new to democracy, Shroppy. Give them another 50 years or so to evolve and we might see some progress.
Not a democracy. Communist and very left. But more caring then many who boast on being the mother of democracy:
UK thanks Cuba for 'great gesture of solidarity' in rescuing passengers from coronavirus cruise ship
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9451741.html
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

07-04-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Not a democracy. Communist and very left. But more caring then many who boast on being the mother of democracy:
UK thanks Cuba for 'great gesture of solidarity' in rescuing passengers from coronavirus cruise ship
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9451741.html
I was referring to Franco.

Anyway, so according to you, is the UK no longer a democracy because it thanked Cuba ? Is this another one of your crack-pot conclusions ?

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top