Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Re: Jacob Rees-Mogg lays the law down on Grammar.

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
A very amusing thread!

Just one item on JRM's list that I simply don't understand and that is the first item:
Organisations are SINGULAR

Can someone please explain to this thicko exactly what this means?
Take an organisation, say RSPCA, or South West Trains, how can it be singular or plural?
And in what context does he mean it should always be singular.

I'm obviously totally missing the point, but I simply don't understand his instruction.
I'm not sure, but one example might be
"The National Health Services"
which, of course, would be incorrect, as there is only one
National Health Service.

Perhaps there are other similar examples.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 12:49 PM

A very amusing thread!

Just one item on JRM's list that I simply don't understand and that is the first item:

Take an organisation, say RSPCA, or South West Trains, how can it be singular or plural?

I'm obviously totally missing the point, but I simply don't understand his instruction.
If an organisation is treated as a singular entity, then one should be consistent in referring to it as one entity, so one shouldn’t use words that refer to a single entity using plural words, such as “they” instead of “it”, “have” instead of “has”.

I don’t know what the proper grammatical word is to describe these type of words but if you think of the differences in words you use in sentences referring to one person or two people, it will all become clear.

e.g.
General Motors published its new range of vehicles.
RSPCA has published its annual accounts
The lease of the Head Office of South West Trains will expire next month. It is looking for new premises.

Whereas, referring to two entities you would use words denoting plural.

South West Trains and Rail Link have joined forces to present their plans for next year
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 12:51 PM

A very amusing thread!

If someone is referring to the RSPCA in a sentence, for example, it should read "The RSPCA is an organisation that protects animals" rather than "The RSPCA are an organisation that protects animals" I think that is what he means by an organisation being singular rather than plural ...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
If someone is referring to the RSPCA in a sentence, for example, it should read "The RSPCA is an organisation that protects animals" rather than "The RSPCA are an organisation that protects animals" I think that is what he means by an organisation being singular rather than plural ...
Oh I see!!!!

NOW I understand!

Makes perfect sense...but as with so many clever people JRM has an inability to connect with the ordinary... I'm not stupid when it comes to grammar and punctuation but I genuinely didn't understand his instruction.
And no one I've spoke with about it did either!!

Thank you!!
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Oh I see!!!!

NOW I understand!

Makes perfect sense...but as with so many clever people JRM has an inability to connect with the ordinary... I'm not stupid when it comes to grammar and punctuation but I genuinely didn't understand his instruction.
And no one I've spoke with about it did either!!

Thank you!!
You're welcome. Sometimes these people are too clever for their own good - as my late Mother would say
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
You're welcome. Sometimes these people are too clever for their own good - as my late Mother would say
Exactly! If you've issued an instruction that few understand, that says more about you than it says about them!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I don’t know what the proper grammatical word is to describe these type of words but if you think of the differences in words you use in sentences referring to one person or two people, it will all become clear.
This type of word!

Seriously, though, I think you make a very good point.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Something else I notice on social media (ie Facebook) is the incorrect usage of 'his' and 'he's'.

For example (and these are just examples, plucked from thin air...)

His going to football
He's mobile phone has been stolen/lost
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Amazing just how a missing comma can change a sentence,

Have you eaten Granma?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Amazing just how a missing comma can change a sentence,

Have you eaten Granma?
He eats shoots and leaves.

He eats, shoots and leaves.

Or using the Oxford comma,

He eats, shoots, and leaves.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top