Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Always liked bears from my Winnie the Poo days. Now you wonder if by moving those 3 bears that so far have stood the test of time, whether the move for more accessability to children...and others..will simply result in unwanted damge..somethings no matter how well intentioned are just best left well alone.

I see that King TUT is being dug up yet again with a new series tonight. I bet the poor lad never imagined his orifices would be the most looked at, poked at peered into, prodded, x-rayed and tut tutted at and over by so many.

Bet those embalmer chaps never told those kings they were stuffing full of bits and pieces that after life meant giving up all privacy rights. Puts our tar and feathering of old to shame.

If there is an after life I bet old Tut is thinking 'Enoughs enough...give it a rest will you and let a fella have some peace'

Wonder if all this rain is Tuts way of showing he's a bit miffed with it all.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:29 PM

I don’t know if it’s just me but I seem to get an eerie feeling when I see programs of old bodies and bones being dug up from old graveyards and elsewhere, “Experts” scraping thigh bones and skulls with trowels and knives etc., they seem to think it’s OK to do this type of thing after X amount of years, to me it’s just not right at all, leave the dead alone I say. Legal bodysnatching is alive and well.
Who really wants to know what Dick Turpin or whoever ate for his last meal anyway, I hope he enjoyed it, he paid the ultimate price for his crimes, now let him rest in peace. As my old granny would say “Mess with the dead and you’ll never have an hours luck”
I often wonder why descendants of the dead don’t object to the digging up of remains from very old graveyards, I’m sure even King Tut has descendants somewhere too.
But then that’s only my view, and I’m very old fashioned about certain things.

An old drawing of seasoned bodysnatchers at work, speed was of the essence.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:18 PM

We are where we are, is very annoying, sorry, wrong thread.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 01:02 PM

spitty...If we weren't here, you'd be there, and if you weren't there you could be anywhere but as long as you scribble something it doesn't matter whether you are where you should'nt be ..or more to the point where you should be

Now you try typing that after peeling onions

Jem..it is eerie seeing bones, no matter whose bones that are being handled and chatted over as nothing but objects and I also have no interest in knowing what they ate. It's all a too disrespectful and granny was right...mind you that Dick turpin who ended up hung but became a bit of a romanticised hero didn't have the masses of golden goodies that poor Tut had pilfered of him...but Turpin would have recognised daylight robbery when he saw it.

Imagine sitting on yer cloud watching yer most prized possessions being gawked at whilst some slave sitting on the next cloud who probably built yer tomb howls with hysterical laugher. The gods could not have made that one up.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote Spitfire. “Sorry, wrong thread”
Could be worse Spitty, you could end up like me, on the wrong planet.

They would be wise to leave King Tut alone, remember that old Egyptian curse “Cach ta sco tutu cach dala eg recit dom cu” which means “He who robs the graves of Egypt dies”
Guess who was watching “The Mummy” last night on the horror channel, the old Hammer version. Bet ya didn’t know I was fluent in Egyptian either.

Are yiz all standing by with your credit cards waiting to be screwed again by the greatest money spinner since the mobile phone, “Black Friday” conman’s day, God do these greedy buggers never run out of tricks, I was reading that very few items are actually reduced, it’s all designed to look that way, but it seems to have caught on now and everyone is hooked, serves yiz right.
I see Virgin has a “Red Friday” now, whatever that is, how about a “Green Sunday” when parents could bribe the kids to eat their greens? a penny a pea?

Our parish priest has got in on the act, God love him, he tries hard to keep up with the times, and the customers are thin on the ground these days, so Father Ryan is having a “Black Saturday” this week, he promises to do all confessions in two minutes flat, even if you committed murder. He’ll have an altar boy outside the confession box with a stop watch and a whistle, your time starts the minute you enter the box, if he goes one second over the time the whistle blows, then Father Ryan has to give you all your sins back, the devils refund he calls it.
There are a lot who will go in for this, the annual penitents, it’s not a bad offer, he usually takes ten minutes per customer.
I remember as an altar boy in the same church that Saturday evening confessions used to be packed with “Miserable sinners” as Fr. Ryan would mutter under his breath as he glanced at the assembled scared hopefuls and took his seat in the box.
After they’d all gone home meself and another boy had to stay back late to sweep the sins out of the confession boxes, no mean task I can tell you, but we were compensated by not having to serve any Sunday masses.

I have to tell you this about Frank Ifield, he kissed Phyllis on the cheer as he stepped off the stage in a cabaret pub here in Dublin back in the 1970's, she was thrilled, and she still boasts about it to this day, nobody can say boo about "her Frank" in this family.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Quote Spitfire. “Sorry, wrong thread”
Could be worse Spitty, you could end up like me, on the wrong planet.

They would be wise to leave King Tut alone, remember that old Egyptian curse “Cach ta sco tutu cach dala eg recit dom cu” which means “He who robs the graves of Egypt dies”
Guess who was watching “The Mummy” last night on the horror channel, the old Hammer version. Bet ya didn’t know I was fluent in Egyptian either.

Are yiz all standing by with your credit cards waiting to be screwed again by the greatest money spinner since the mobile phone, “Black Friday” conman’s day, God do these greedy buggers never run out of tricks, I was reading that very few items are actually reduced, it’s all designed to look that way, but it seems to have caught on now and everyone is hooked, serves yiz right.
I see Virgin has a “Red Friday” now, whatever that is, how about a “Green Sunday” when parents could bribe the kids to eat their greens? a penny a pea?

Our parish priest has got in on the act, God love him, he tries hard to keep up with the times, and the customers are thin on the ground these days, so Father Ryan is having a “Black Saturday” this week, he promises to do all confessions in two minutes flat, even if you committed murder. He’ll have an altar boy outside the confession box with a stop watch and a whistle, your time starts the minute you enter the box, if he goes one second over the time the whistle blows, then Father Ryan has to give you all your sins back, the devils refund he calls it.
There are a lot who will go in for this, the annual penitents, it’s not a bad offer, he usually takes ten minutes per customer.
I remember as an altar boy in the same church that Saturday evening confessions used to be packed with “Miserable sinners” as Fr. Ryan would mutter under his breath as he glanced at the assembled scared hopefuls and took his seat in the box.
After they’d all gone home meself and another boy had to stay back late to sweep the sins out of the confession boxes, no mean task I can tell you, but we were compensated by not having to serve any Sunday masses.

I have to tell you this about Frank Ifield, he kissed Phyllis on the cheer as he stepped off the stage in a cabaret pub here in Dublin back in the 1970's, she was thrilled, and she still boasts about it to this day, nobody can say boo about "her Frank" in this family.

What about an Alter Ego?

My mate who has just died, prematurely, coined a line to replace, "How do you think I feel" to "how you Frank Ifield".
God bless you Tommo.
Thanks for the line, a year has passed since I Broke my Nose, Sting would have been proud of you, had he known.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-11-2019, 11:15 PM

RIP Tommo.

58 years old.
solo
UK

28-11-2019, 12:59 PM

I'm impressed but and I would type this in Arabic but as you are only fluent I will stick to English.

Being brought up by thrifty Northerners who knew a thing or two about catchpenny offers, my money stays safely in my purse. You don't get 'owt for nowt' was the national anthem learned at the knee by us young uns. That saying stood then and it stands now more than ever. The only difference being is that if you did buy a so called over priced bargain...at least it was a genuine over priced bargain rather than the cheap imitations that they fob you off with these days.

As a teen I was fortunate to do some part time work that meant I met a lot of rising stars and saw them perform at some of their very first gigs. Some were good, some bad and some.... for various reasons stick in my mind, Jet Harris and Frank Ifield being two.

Phyllis may not be aware that Frank Ifield and the Beatles were connected right from the start of their careers

Explanation

http://www.frankifield.com/wack.html

In that article it mentions the Beatles copied Frank Ifields I remember you and I think Phyllis will agree....They literally murder it

Sang proper

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Glad you copped that deliberate error Solo, it would have been ignorant of me to type the Egyptian message in Arabic, a language that is not easily recognised in this part of the world so I used English letters to get the sound right, tonk yo.
I never go down without an excuse, as the old gangsters motto goes “Never plead guilty till your luck runs out”, although Phyllis has me sorted out well and truly, hard to pull the wool over her eyes these days, just one look and she knows when I’m fibbing, it’s the smiling that gives me away every time, I just can't keep a straight face.

Good write up on Ifield that, you learn something new every day, whatever happened to one hit wonders Chris Montez and Johnny Roe, I liked their two hits at the time. Phyllis had one of those beehive hairstyles like Helen Shapiro, I think she used to use a whole bottle of lacquer to keep it up, it was a stiff as an anvil, she was a great fan of hers too.

I remember listening to the Beatles as an apprentice at work, they were on the BBC radio around lunchtime every week, that would be 1961 or 1962, you are dead right they were terrible, one song they really crucified was “Ain’t she Sweet” that stayed with me for a while it was so bad.
But they were a raw band then, George Martin’s arrangements and guidance in their recordings really brought out their talents and set them off to the top, Martin was a musical genius and a gifted maker of silk purses, IMO.

Wasn’t there whispers about Brian Epstein having a thing for John Lennon, and Lennon being disgusted with the thought, one never spoke of such things back then. Epstein committed suicide, he was a strange man.

It appears Chris Montez is still going strong and well into his seventies now, I’m sure he must have a pain in his backside singing the same old song (Let’s dance).
I won’t inflict it on you, here’s a much brighter song to cheer you up on this rainy night, it brings back a lot of happy memories to me.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

29-11-2019, 07:32 PM

I like to read about the old bread and butter actors who work /worked hard but never made the big time.
I always thought Charles Hawtrey was a shy timid man, gentle and kind, so I was very surprised when I stumbled on to this from Wiki, actually I was looking up that famous stage actor of the early 1900’s Sir Charles Hawtrey at the time, no relation by the way, but the comic Hawtrey took delight when others assumed that they were related, he even changed the spelling of his birth surname from Hawtree to “Hawtrey”.
Actually I used to feel sorry for him having spent so long in the business only getting bit parts and never starring in anything, I remember seeing him as a boy actor in the old Will Hay films.

“Little is known about Hawtrey's early years or later private life. He guarded his relationships very carefully in an era (lasting until 1967 in England) when male homosexual behaviour was illegal and punishable by a prison sentence. His outrageous drunken promiscuity did not attract sympathy, nor did his general peevish demeanour and increasing eccentricity earn him many close friends.
If any of his fans asked him for an autograph, Hawtrey would swear at them and rip their paper in half. This upset many people, especially as some of the people asking were children, which angered their parents.
Kenneth Williams recorded a visit to Deal in Kent where Hawtrey owned a house full of old brass bedsteads that the eccentric actor had hoarded, believing that "one day he would make a great deal of money from them".
Hawtrey spent most of his life living with his mother, who suffered senile dementia in later years. Another anecdote recounted by Williams[19] describes how during the filming of Carry On Teacher, Joan Sims cried out to Hawtrey that his mother's handbag had caught fire after her cigarette ash fell into it. Without batting an eyelid, Hawtrey poured a cup of tea into the bag to put out the flames, snapped the handbag shut and continued with his story. He would often bring his mother on the set and then lock her in his dressing room when he was required to film a scene. Williams also recounted his gathering up of the sandwiches left over from a buffet for the "Carry On" cast. Williams was envious of Hawtrey's acceptance of his sexuality: "He can sit in a bar and pick up sailors and have a wonderful time. I couldn't do it." In later years, Hawtrey would frequent local pubs, get drunk, insult people and make a general nuisance of himself, calling others in his local pub 'peasants'.
Hawtrey hit the headlines after his house caught fire on 5 August 1984. He had gone to bed with a man and had left a cigarette burning on his sofa. Newspaper photographs from the time show a fireman carrying an ill-looking, emotional, partially clothed and toupee-less Hawtrey down a ladder to safety” Wiki.

It seems he was a nasty oul git, I’m sorry I felt sorry for him now.
He looks like he’s giving someone a piece of his mind in this photo, anyone else would be down on their knees thanking the lord they weren’t cremated alive, wonder what happened to the rent boy upstairs in the bed?
Surely that's not cigarettes and matches he has in his left hand?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top