Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 07:51 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg - Time Person of the Year

Most of us save where we can because we can't afford the horrendous bills whereas parliament and the royals get it paid for them... by us. Perhaps Funbags should visit the little old ladies who have to go to bed early in the winter because they can't afford the heating.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Most of us save where we can because we can't afford the horrendous bills whereas parliament and the royals get it paid for them... by us. Perhaps Funbags should visit the little old ladies who have to go to bed early in the winter because they can't afford the heating.
Due to VAT courtesy of the EU..
And Carbon Tax courtesy of .....The EU and the tree huggers...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Parliament's annual energy bill is £5.1M.

The royals expended 3,344 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents as they embarked on chartered flights on five overseas tours.

When they start, I might consider turning my lights off.
That is entirely the Wong way to look at this global disaster.

EVERYONE has a responsibility to do their bit and a "whataboutery" argument is no excuse a all.

We're continuing to reduce our carbon and polution footprint.

Latest is to put time switch plugs on things such as the TV's and similar (routers, satellite receivers, dvd and hifi etc) to turn them off and not just on standby from midnight to eight o'clock the following morning.

Every little thing helps.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Due to VAT courtesy of the EU..
And Carbon Tax courtesy of .....The EU and the tree huggers...
Put me down as a "tree hugger".
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 11:52 PM

IMHO Greta deserves it.
Is she irritating? Yes
Is she naive? Yes
Does her own lifestyle contradict her own message? Yes

By definition, we're all over 50 on here and are pretty much set in our ways and don't want to be told by some seemingly precocious little runt that we're all a bunch of tossers. Quid pro quo on that one!

I have no idea whether we, as a species, have had a non negligible effect on the climate. I do believe that we might well be well on the road in terms of pushing boundaries regarding sustainability in terms of resources. One only has to drive through a city which, until circa 100 years ago was an area of natural landscape with it's own biodiversity, and is now covered with concrete/tarmac/bricks etc at our behest; or take a night flight to see the amount of light pollution (created mostly by setting fire to things to generate electricity), or by looking a gigantic swathes of land that are now dustbowls that we have created to recognise that this just can't continue indefinitely.

What Greta has done is to focus young minds, who will be our next leaders/inventors/social engineers to try and resolve the situation. By so doing, she has also pretty much mandated long term businesses to reconsider their modus operandi to take this into account in terms of their medium/long term economic models.

Thus, as much as we might hate it as middle aged, stuck in the mud people, she does seem to have a point!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Australia Population 25million % of global GH gas emissions 1.28%
UK Population 66million % of global GH gas emissions 1.20%

Better not light the barbie this year Bruce
Gives a bit of perspective to it Ray C
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
IMHO Greta deserves it.
Is she irritating? Yes
Is she naive? Yes
Does her own lifestyle contradict her own message? Yes

By definition, we're all over 50 on here and are pretty much set in our ways and don't want to be told by some seemingly precocious little runt that we're all a bunch of tossers. Quid pro quo on that one!

I have no idea whether we, as a species, have had a non negligible effect on the climate. I do believe that we might well be well on the road in terms of pushing boundaries regarding sustainability in terms of resources. One only has to drive through a city which, until circa 100 years ago was an area of natural landscape with it's own biodiversity, and is now covered with concrete/tarmac/bricks etc at our behest; or take a night flight to see the amount of light pollution (created mostly by setting fire to things to generate electricity), or by looking a gigantic swathes of land that are now dustbowls that we have created to recognise that this just can't continue indefinitely.

What Greta has done is to focus young minds, who will be our next leaders/inventors/social engineers to try and resolve the situation. By so doing, she has also pretty much mandated long term businesses to reconsider their modus operandi to take this into account in terms of their medium/long term economic models.

Thus, as much as we might hate it as middle aged, stuck in the mud people, she does seem to have a point!
A good post Dextrous and I largely agree. The problem I have with Greta is that I have difficulty in believing her opinions and what she says are actually her own work. I think she is very much a "puppet" and a "mouthpiece" speaking for others who script things for her. I think she may well be being used by others and unless I know who they are and what their agendas are, then I will remain sceptical about this girl.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:26 PM

It is obvious that she has been highly successful, otherwise this thread would not exist.

What I find interesting is that the most powerful man in the world is such a bully that he even goes after little girls.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
It is obvious that she has been highly successful, otherwise this thread would not exist.

What I find interesting is that the most powerful man in the world is such a bully that he even goes after little girls.
So if I say something wrong against that annoying teenager does that mean I'm a bully too?

Someone on here said she is a puppet with someone else pulling her strings, I totally agree with that. She reads from a script. To me she is being exploited by adults.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yeah I believe.....now what....?

You mean those same scientists that are funded by big business....?
Are you of the opinion that all scientist are crooked, or just the vast majority of climate scientist that agree that we have a problem with man-made climate change?

Unlike politicians and CEOs each scientist has hundreds of fellow scientists challenging his or her every proposition. Success is driven by results in spite of peer review.

Again, I suggest that you either believe the vested interests or you believe the science.

Follow the money.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top