Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg - Time Person of the Year

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I wonder how many trees were sacrificed to produce that mag?
Is that the best "argument" you could provide? It is saying, "I tow the party line, regardless of the facts, "I am politically pure, applause now please." That is the equivalent of a child throwing rocks and running away. Congratulations!

No one, not even Greta, suggests that all human energy use, or all human consumption must stop in order to address man-made climate change. However, any thinking person believes that the path we are on may well be a dead end.

Now, if you have anything of substance to add to the conversation, I would be interested in seeing it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That is entirely the Wong way to look at this global disaster.

EVERYONE has a responsibility to do their bit and a "whataboutery" argument is no excuse a all.

We're continuing to reduce our carbon and polution footprint.

Latest is to put time switch plugs on things such as the TV's and similar (routers, satellite receivers, dvd and hifi etc) to turn them off and not just on standby from midnight to eight o'clock the following morning.

Every little thing helps.

Rubbish. The more I save, the more someone else will use.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
IMHO Greta deserves it.
Is she irritating? Yes
Is she naive? Yes
Does her own lifestyle contradict her own message? Yes

By definition, we're all over 50 on here and are pretty much set in our ways and don't want to be told by some seemingly precocious little runt that we're all a bunch of tossers. Quid pro quo on that one!

I have no idea whether we, as a species, have had a non negligible effect on the climate. I do believe that we might well be well on the road in terms of pushing boundaries regarding sustainability in terms of resources. One only has to drive through a city which, until circa 100 years ago was an area of natural landscape with it's own biodiversity, and is now covered with concrete/tarmac/bricks etc at our behest; or take a night flight to see the amount of light pollution (created mostly by setting fire to things to generate electricity), or by looking a gigantic swathes of land that are now dustbowls that we have created to recognise that this just can't continue indefinitely.

What Greta has done is to focus young minds, who will be our next leaders/inventors/social engineers to try and resolve the situation. By so doing, she has also pretty much mandated long term businesses to reconsider their modus operandi to take this into account in terms of their medium/long term economic models.

Thus, as much as we might hate it as middle aged, stuck in the mud people, she does seem to have a point!
I agree with you Dex but look how our population has grown since letting all and sundry in. I bet Funbags supports unlimited immigration too.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 04:31 PM

What Greta has done is to focus young minds,
Has she though?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Has she though?
IMHO she most likely has in terms of banging on about the urgency of the matter.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The problem I have with Greta is that I have difficulty in believing her opinions and what she says are actually her own work. I think she is very much a "puppet" and a "mouthpiece" speaking for others who script things for her. I think she may well be being used by others and unless I know who they are and what their agendas are, then I will remain sceptical about this girl.
A valid point. However, if she is being manipulated in some way, then surely "we" should avoid attacking her and try to determine who is pulling her strings and thus focus our ire on them?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 10:26 PM

A valid point. However, if she is being manipulated in some way, then surely "we" should avoid attacking her and try to determine who is pulling her strings and thus focus our ire on them?
I have nothing against Greta. She doesn't make me angry at all. Quite the reverse. I feel a bit sorry for her as she strikes me as being a bit vulnerable. She has aspberger's syndrome, I believe and may be damaged by all this publicity and what she is trying to achieve.I don't think it is good for her to be in such a public light. I hope her parent's are taking good care of her mental well-being and not just using her as a vehicle for their own ambitions.

Edited to add a link.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...c41a136ca3d70e
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Are you of the opinion that all scientist are crooked, or just the vast majority of climate scientist that agree that we have a problem with man-made climate change?

Unlike politicians and CEOs each scientist has hundreds of fellow scientists challenging his or her every proposition. Success is driven by results in spite of peer review.

Again, I suggest that you either believe the vested interests or you believe the science.

Follow the money.
There are many scientists who do not subscribe to man made climate change except they are not allowed to voice their opinion on the media, instead they have to do it on twitter etc and are not taken seriously, and those that do will be out of a job by monday. David Bellamy was a prime example and was ostracised by the BBC and others once he made his thoughts known.

The one thing that all man made climate change followers do not take into account is the huge size of this planet, nothing you can do will make a scrap of difference to the climate except fill your heads with propaganda and justify carbon and energy taxes.
The best we can expect is to locally make the environment a safer and healthier place to live, and prepare ourselves for the inevitable time when the climate does change and things like oil start running out.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-12-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have nothing against Greta. She doesn't make me angry at all. Quite the reverse. I feel a bit sorry for her as she strikes me as being a bit vulnerable. She has aspberger's syndrome, I believe and may be damaged by all this publicity and what she is trying to achieve.I don't think it is good for her to be in such a public light. I hope her parent's are taking good care of her mental well-being and not just using her as a vehicle for their own ambitions.

Edited to add a link.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...c41a136ca3d70e
Thanks for the link, and have read it.
It does make one wonder what will happen to her in a few months/years when her current fame diminishes and whether she will be able to revert to some kind of "normal" life.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:21 PM

The climate change deniers have now moved to who does what, and how much, a predictable development.

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top