Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Morbidly Obese.

Not good for ones health.

Another...what happens to all of that skin,that was once full of fat?

Surgery for some I guess..a friend of mine has lost five stone...what many people don't realise is...the amount of skin that hangs after such a huge amount of weight loss.

It must be awful,carrying that hanging skin around.

My friend can't afford surgery,to have the excess skin removed...which probably weighs quite a bit in itself....even her face has been affected by the weight lose....the main thing is though...she feels so much better.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Re: Morbidly Obese.

People who have made that much effort to lose weight & improve their health, deserve an operation on the NHS to remove the excess skin.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
People who have made that much effort to lose weight & improve their health, deserve an operation on the NHS to remove the excess skin.

I agree,Carol...but having that type of surgery..comes with risk..and pain after surgery,I believe...

I have watched many a YouTube documentary,on massive weight loss...I was gobsmacked by the amount of excess skin that just hung down.after losing a huge amount..many were so young...they all had their own way of hiding it..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Yes I've seen this too and it never goes which doesn't help the persons self esteem after losing the weight sadly . Of course the answer is surgery but I dont think the NHS would do it so it's a private OP. Painful too .

I see a lot of overweight young people and I see that sometimes young girls who have had a baby stay quite heavy, maybe its lifestyle . I think there are a lot of overweight people now . Problems for later life .

Edited to add . I met a couple on holiday from Australia and when we chatted they said how surprised they were a the overwight young generation especially young women with babies.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:45 AM

I think if woman has put in the effort to loose the weight let her have the operation on the NHS
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 12:33 PM

It can take quite a while to go from being a bit overweight to being clinically obese - but not so long for that to become morbidly obese. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the problem could be picked up on and dealt with before it reached that far.

Apart from the obvious risks to health (CVA, CVD etc) a lot of the trouble is in perceptions. Overweight people are often perceived as being jolly, cuddly sort of people - so the incentive to lose the few extra pounds is not there.

However, once a person reaches the obesity spectrum, perceptions can change quite dramatically. They stop being cuddly and become 'big fat lumps'. It can lead to children being bullied in school, teenagers being ridiculed on facebook etc., to the point of suicide in some case. People lose their self esteem and this can lead them along various unhealthy routes.

Some crash diet - without realizing too rapid a weight loss with little exercise can produce those ugly hanging folds of skin.

Some become reclusive and 'comfort' eat - exacerbating the problem.

Some take more extreme measures and become anorexic or bulimic.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that not all overweight people can help their condition. They may have a slow metabolism, a dysfunctional thyroid, or be on medication that includes steroids.

I know of one person who has reached the 'clinically obese' level. Some of this is because she has medical conditions which require her to take steroids. Some of it is due to lack of exercise - she spends all day everyday flopped on a sofa watching films on TV. But some of it is also due to the fact that her partner 'enables' her to do this by waiting on her hand and foot.

Obesity is never due to just one simple factor. If Pauline's friend had been helped before she became obese - the outcome may have been happier for her. I do agree though, having made the effort to lose the weight, the NHS could be a little compassionate and offer surgical intervention now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:15 PM

It seems so easy these days to put on excess weight, food seems far too tasty and readily available for a fraction of the price it used to be when I was a lad. Chocolate bars and biscuits used to take up one shelf on the wall of the small local confectionary, these days several full length isles of the supermarket are overflowing with choccy bars, crisps and biscuits.

Having always been a runner I have a voracious appetite, especially for potatoes, pasta and bread (all the things necessary to get round a marathon) unfortunately I don't run marathons any more but the appetite remains. Up to now I have managed to keep my weight stable, but I can't help wondering what I would look like if I ever stopped running....

Steroids are indeed a problem Tabby, and I would rather die than take them....I watched my Father in law turn from a very fit ninety year old who walked a mile to the shops every day, deteriorate in a matter of weeks, into being bed bound and finally passing away just weeks after being prescribed them...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It can take quite a while to go from being a bit overweight to being clinically obese - but not so long for that to become morbidly obese. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the problem could be picked up on and dealt with before it reached that far.

Apart from the obvious risks to health (CVA, CVD etc) a lot of the trouble is in perceptions. Overweight people are often perceived as being jolly, cuddly sort of people - so the incentive to lose the few extra pounds is not there.

However, once a person reaches the obesity spectrum, perceptions can change quite dramatically. They stop being cuddly and become 'big fat lumps'. It can lead to children being bullied in school, teenagers being ridiculed on facebook etc., to the point of suicide in some case. People lose their self esteem and this can lead them along various unhealthy routes.

Some crash diet - without realizing too rapid a weight loss with little exercise can produce those ugly hanging folds of skin.

Some become reclusive and 'comfort' eat - exacerbating the problem.

Some take more extreme measures and become anorexic or bulimic.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that not all overweight people can help their condition. They may have a slow metabolism, a dysfunctional thyroid, or be on medication that includes steroids.

I know of one person who has reached the 'clinically obese' level. Some of this is because she has medical conditions which require her to take steroids. Some of it is due to lack of exercise - she spends all day everyday flopped on a sofa watching films on TV. But some of it is also due to the fact that her partner 'enables' her to do this by waiting on her hand and foot.

Obesity is never due to just one simple factor. If Pauline's friend had been helped before she became obese - the outcome may have been happier for her. I do agree though, having made the effort to lose the weight, the NHS could be a little compassionate and offer surgical intervention now.
In my case I became obese due to emotional eating after my Sister and Mum died. I was in a terrible, dark place for 3 years and completely lost myself in grief.

One day I looked in the mirror and didn't know the woman looking back at me and something woke up inside me, I like to think waking up to myself was something to do with my sister and mum.

I have now lost a huge amount of weight which has taken me over 2 and half years with good nutrition and exercise. I am left with horrible loose skin on my arms and I am very embarrassed about them but at least I can cover them with sleeves so I can live with it. I was quite sad when I went on holiday and I couldn't go sleeveless (they really do look awful) but I'd rather be like I am today than the woman I was 2 and half years ago. I hope to never see her again for sure, she was a miserable, lost, almost dead woman.

I have approached my doctor regarding surgery on my arms but he said it's considered cosmetic and he is sorry as he knows how much hard work I put into my weightloss.

As I said, I can live with it because I can cover them but some people can become severely depressed with the loose skin issue so I think in some cases it should be available on the NHS, especially when they have put so much hard work into losing the weight.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

22-11-2019, 01:40 PM

The problem with my friend was....doctors did try and help her...which she openly admits...only she "wasn't listening"...

It took her to become obese,..to listen...quite sad really...but at least she woke up and smelt the coffee...

Food controlled her...now she can control the food intake.
I also have a love of food...which doesn't help...but I know when to stop,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 03:15 PM

I wish there was some none invasive techniques to help people with an eating problem.
Something like hypnosis .

You will not eat cakes and chocolate / you will only eat one meal a day /

Something on those lines .

The hypnotist would make a fortune and hopi5als would have less patients with weight problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top