Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Thanks Omah, following your post I've found notebook and wrote this mornings blog using it. I can see the simplicity of it, not having the many distractions that 'Word' contains, and I enjoyed using it. However, unlike word, it doesn't automatically start a new line so you can write off the page (so to speak) which becomes a problem when copying and pasting.

I became a victim of Microsoft Works when I found that it couldn't be read on windows 7. I became quite an expert at making data bases and had lots of files in works, so using Vista on my desk top computer, I had to convert many works files into excel, there are still some that need converting.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Omah, following your post I've found notebook and wrote this mornings blog using it. I can see the simplicity of it, not having the many distractions that 'Word' contains, and I enjoyed using it. However, unlike word, it doesn't automatically start a new line so you can write off the page (so to speak) which becomes a problem when copying and pasting.
If you select Format/Word Wrap, Notepad will move the current word to a new line when end of line is reached.

However, this is only a visual aid and the line will revert to single on transfer to Word BUT Word will insert "new line" as appropriate .

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I became a victim of Microsoft Works when I found that it couldn't be read on windows 7. I became quite an expert at making data bases and had lots of files in works, so using Vista on my desk top computer, I had to convert many works files into excel, there are still some that need converting.
I went through a similar process .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
If you select Format/Word Wrap, Notepad will move the current word to a new line when end of line is reached.
Thanks Omah, I wondered what 'Word Wrap' Meant.....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update is being made available to existing machines today.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update: the 10 best new features

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/3/1...eatures-review

Windows 10 October 2018 update: everything you need to know

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...red-clipboards

Windows 10 October 2018 Update problems: how to fix them

https://www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/...ow-to-fix-them
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Install finished - starting update .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Update on Desktop complete.

I did get a message saying directory "Documents" not found but that appears to have resolved itself.

ETA :

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...river-warning/

As noted by one Windows 10 user on Twitter, documents saved in the user directory and not OneDrive will be deleted.

"So if your 'Documents' or 'Pictures' don't have a OneDrive symbol, MIGRATE IMMEDIATELY."
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Doing this laptop now, it's taking a long time.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Doing this laptop now, it's taking a long time.
Took my Desktop over 3 hours - I haven't tried the laptop yet .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 05:58 PM

I have not read anything here that would interest me in the least. I never use Notepad or Paint, for example, having superior third party tools. The only such things I do use are the Snipping Tool and Character Map.

If there was anything of particularly useful value in the Windows Updates, I'd be happy to accept them, but I have yet to see them.

The most annoying thing, though, is the fact that these updates are both obligatory and, in my experience, problematic.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-10-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have not read anything here that would interest me in the least. I never use Notepad or Paint, for example, having superior third party tools.
I've got superior third party tools, too, but sometimes all I want is simple and effective .....

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top