Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Re: Meter cupboard.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Have you asked about this before or am I getting deja vu again.
Yes. Last winter my electricity meter cupboard had the door hanging off. I contacted e-on and they sent somebody to mend it for me free of charge.

As I get my gas from e-on I thought they would do the same again but I was told they stopped doing it nine months ago & they can't/won't help me!

Barry has a point about having to disturb the meter to fix the cupboard. I never thought of that & nobody mentioned it to me on the phone.

Anyway, I suddenly realised the council run a service for senior citizens called 'Handy van' Basically they come to households and carry out jobs the householder is unable to do. They fit smoke alarms and stuff like that - anything concerned with safety.. I contacted them about my meter cupboard & the man who answered the phone said he thinks they would do it for me but they will have to come out & have a look at it first.

I'm putting the pleas for a handyman on hold until the council's Handy Van man has been to look at it.

Is it ok to leave the meter exposed to the elements? I thought it had to be covered - that's why I was in a bit of a panic to get a new cupboard fixed asap.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes. Last winter my electricity meter cupboard had the door hanging off. I contacted e-on and they sent somebody to mend it for me free of charge.

As I get my gas from e-on I thought they would do the same again but I was told they stopped doing it nine months ago & they can't/won't help me!

Barry has a point about having to disturb the meter to fix the cupboard. I never thought of that & nobody mentioned it to me on the phone.

Anyway, I suddenly realised the council run a service for senior citizens called 'Handy van' Basically they come to households and carry out jobs the householder is unable to do. They fit smoke alarms and stuff like that - anything concerned with safety.. I contacted them about my meter cupboard & the man who answered the phone said he thinks they would do it for me but they will have to come out & have a look at it first.

I'm putting the pleas for a handyman on hold until the council's Handy Van man has been to look at it.

Is it ok to leave the meter exposed to the elements? I thought it had to be covered - that's why I was in a bit of a panic to get a new cupboard fixed asap.
Well done Carol, that sounds like a good plan. Gas doesn't freeze so you will be OK there but you could tape a bag over it I suppose just to hide it until they get there.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanks LD - I'll do that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thanks LD - I'll do that.
Hope you get it sorted.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 05:53 PM

The meter will be ok without its box for now, actually gas runs slower through the meter when it’s cold, that’s why gas pipes aren’t lagged, so you should save some money, it should be relatively easy to swap the box as long as it’s not recessed into the wall, as Barry says, see what the council chap says,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 10:22 AM

We like to keep things looking tidy over here Bruce. Standards to keep up.
Paint it a pretty colour.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Hope HV get it sorted for you, Carol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

16-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Not hard anything else from HV. I wish they'd let me know one way or the other!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:03 AM

We like to keep things looking tidy over here Bruce. Standards to keep up.
wot like politics and the house of lords??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 08:13 AM

Bide your time Carol, there is a new generation of Box on the horizon, the "Smart Meter Box", it repairs itself.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top