Join for free
Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:17 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by mart ->
All in all, I'd say to carry on using Windows 10 but far be it from me to say what a person should believe or do.
That's what I'd say, too .....

Then we're all reading from the same hymn sheet .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Okay guys I'll persevere with windows 10 for the moment, but I've just run into another snag......I downloaded a PDF file, it refused to open and windows wanted me to open it in Edge...I downloaded Acrobat Reader for free and it's alright now, but windows keeps suggesting that the edge is faster than google chrome. I don't care because I've got chrome over three computers now and I like how it works. But the constant interference by windows is doing my head in.....
Thanks for the advice by the way....but if you can find a way of releasing my computer from it's dependance on windows I would appreciate it. I've already suffered from numorous downloads already, and quite frankly; they're a pain in the arse....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm not finding Windows 10 too bad to work with, one or two little gripes but sometimes us old timers don't like change, and once we get used to something it can turn out to be better than the old one.

What I don't like though is the thought that I've only rented windows 10 off microsoft and they have total control of my computer.....

I found a form in the settings last night that actually asks me note the times I will be using the computer so they can schedule the updates around me.....WHAT!
I feel the same way. If I buy a new vacuum cleaner it becomes mine. I do not receive incessant messages from the manufacturer informing me that they are about to 'update' it, whether I want that or not.

As I said before, I have successfully avoided Windows Updates for a few weeks now by simply stating that my internet connection is metered, and Microsoft have the decency not to send any updates whilst I am on a metered connection. They do keep sending me helpful 'warnings', though, that they are unable to provide my much needed updates.

I also don't seem to be able to access the 'Bios' perhaps Mart, Omah, JB or Bruce could enlighten me....
You give me an undeserved compliment, OGF! I assure you I am no expert and I doubt that I know any more than you do about computers! But thanks anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Okay guys I'll persevere with windows 10 for the moment, but I've just run into another snag......I downloaded a PDF file, it refused to open and windows wanted me to open it in Edge...I downloaded Acrobat Reader for free and it's alright now, but windows keeps suggesting that the edge is faster than google chrome.
Microsoft are really pushing Edge.

If I ever use Cortana to search for something, it invariably points me to a web page which, by default, opens in Edge.

I ignore the suggestion and prefer to open the same web site in Chrome.

I think someone posted a solution to overcome this use of Edge by Cortana. I use it simply to search for files, etc. on my computer. If I want to search the internet, I use Google in my Chrome browser.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I feel the same way. If I buy a new vacuum cleaner it becomes mine. I do not receive incessant messages from the manufacturer informing me that they are about to 'update' it, whether I want that or not.

As I said before, I have successfully avoided Windows Updates for a few weeks now by simply stating that my internet connection is metered, and Microsoft have the decency not to send any updates whilst I am on a metered connection. They do keep sending me helpful 'warnings', though, that they are unable to provide my much needed updates.

You give me an undeserved compliment, OGF! I assure you I am no expert and I doubt that I know any more than you do about computers! But thanks anyway.
We must stand together JB against world domination by big business.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-11-2018, 06:17 PM

We must stand together JB against world domination by big business.....
I always will.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-11-2018, 06:17 PM

If I ever use Cortana to search for something, it invariably points me to a web page which, by default, opens in Edge.

I think someone posted a solution to overcome this use of Edge by Cortana. I use it simply to search for files, etc. on my computer. If I want to search the internet, I use Google in my Chrome browser.
Same here JB, perhaps the edge is better but I will remain defient as long as they pressure me. We will show them who is the boss!...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:32 PM

I downloaded a PDF file, it refused to open and windows wanted me to open it in Edge...I downloaded Acrobat Reader for free and it's alright now, but windows keeps suggesting that the edge is faster than google chrome.
I find there's no need to use Acrobat Reader or similar. Chrome, Firefox, Edge and probably some other browsers can all open PDFs.

Edge is as good as any for that purpose but to use Chrome to open them, all that has to be done is right-click on a PDF, go to 'Open with' and then choose 'Chrome' from the list. The computer can be made to always open PDFs in Chrome by default.

Using a browser to open PDFs saves a build-up of installing possibly unnecessary programs on the SSD ..unless you need to edit PDFs. A browser can only open and read PDFs but cannot edit them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:38 PM

Have a look at Settings/Apps/Default Apps to set your email/browser/photo-viewer/audio-video players .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-11-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I find there's no need to use Acrobat Reader or similar. Chrome, Firefox, Edge and probably some other browsers can all open PDFs.

Edge is as good as any for that purpose but to use Chrome to open them, all that has to be done is right-click on a PDF, go to 'Open with' and then choose 'Chrome' from the list. The computer can be made to always open PDFs in Chrome by default.

Using a browser to open PDFs saves a build-up of installing possibly unnecessary programs on the SSD ..unless you need to edit PDFs. A browser can only open and read PDFs but cannot edit them.
I download a lot of timetables Mart, and they are usually in PDF form and I also edit them. I have also saved some race results in PDF......

The reason I mentioned 'bios' was because in the past I have changed the way my computer has loaded (from disk or USB) and which operating system to load it with. I was aware that the computer would still operate in the same way.

Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top