Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Re: Planting Bulbs.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am trying the dwarf wallflowers
I hope they do well Mups I love the bulbs but last years got flattened by the late snow .
When I have planted wallflowers in other years they have gone on and on flowering right through to the spring
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Looking back,because they were in pots,I reckon the frost got them,as the earth would have froze,..I can't wait to plant my bulbs,then post pics of them next year.
I hope you don’t mind me responding but if they were still in pots throughout the winter then the frost most likely got them.
I plant mine right into the ground and they come up every year.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:50 PM

A good time to be planting bulbs is now, I am giving the raised vegetable beds a breather and planting them up with daffodils, tulips and grape hyacinth, Blue grape hyacinth around the edges with yellow daffs and red tulips in the middle
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
A good time to be planting bulbs is now, I am giving the raised vegetable beds a breather and planting them up with daffodils, tulips and grape hyacinth, Blue grape hyacinth around the edges with yellow daffs and red tulips in the middle

You should have a good show there next year then.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:54 PM

I hope so, the soil is a bit undernourished so fingers crossed
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I hope you don’t mind me responding but if they were still in pots throughout the winter then the frost most likely got them.
I plant mine right into the ground and they come up every year.
Of course I don't mind you responding,we learn from each other,......the thing is Bratti,I put them in pots,the first time I planted them,we had a harsh winter,but come spring,I had the most beautiful show,..the second year,I left them in the pots,only leaves,no flowers,..my question is,why didn't the frost get them,when I planted them,for the first time?.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Why plant them now Rehab,?..just curious to know,..you must post pics,when your bulbs flower,sounds like you will have a beautiful show.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:26 AM

Watch those grape Hyacinths Rehab, they spread like wildfire
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Of course I don't mind you responding,we learn from each other,......the thing is Bratti,I put them in pots,the first time I planted them,we had a harsh winter,but come spring,I had the most beautiful show,..the second year,I left them in the pots,only leaves,no flowers,..my question is,why didn't the frost get them,when I planted them,for the first time?.
Pauline, I don't think it was the frost. Did you leave the greenery to die back naturally after the bulbs flowered the first year? If you cut the greenery off too soon the bulbs don't get enough sunlight to make them flower the next year.

Also if they're in compost...compost loses it's oomph pretty quickly so they'd need either some fresh compost or feeding, or both!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:59 AM

I find the problem with bulbs is all the foliage after the flower has died which you have to allow to die back naturally. I have a very small garden so space is limited I get irritated that they take up too much space. I love dwarf daffodils and tulips though

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top