Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Re: Susiejaegar needs help.

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes normally Judd, I tick the box to remember me and I never log out, so normally it would go straight into the forum, but my computer did do a automatic update, which a lot of the time messes up my computer, I did put instructions on the computer to not update automatically but to ask me first, but it still does it.
Yes, the infamous Windows Update. I don't know anyone who wouldn't prefer the option of disabling it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:22 PM

It's good to see you back Susie, which windows O/S are you using?

The first thing I do when obtaining a new computer is to disable all updates for just the reason you have described.....They are not necessary in my opinion, I have never received them and never had a problem.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's good to see you back Susie, which windows O/S are you using?

The first thing I do when obtaining a new computer is to disable all updates for just the reason you have described.....They are not necessary in my opinion, I have never received them and never had a problem.....
I tried that (Windows 10) and managed to prevent any updates for a while, but eventually Microsoft managed to override my attempts.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I tried that (Windows 10) and managed to prevent any updates for a while, but eventually Microsoft managed to override my attempts.
Yes that's what I thought JB. That's why I asked Susie which O/S she was using. My two computers are on their last legs and Windows 10 looks like being my next O/S........Oops....
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Hi

Yes i'm on W10, but I might do as JBR says and try and disable all updates, apparently Microsoft has warned everyone that there is a BIG Update coming and to make sure that you have enough storage space.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi

Yes i'm on W10, but I might do as JBR says and try and disable all updates, apparently Microsoft has warned everyone that there is a BIG Update coming and to make sure that you have enough storage space.
Take if from me, although it is very easy to disable Windows Updates, the time will come (probably sooner rather than later) when updates are installed against your will.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing we can do to stop them other than moving to Crapple or Linux. An alternative could be installing an old, unsupported Windows version. I think OGF still has Windows 7(?), and perhaps could confirm that he can avoid updates in that way?

I have thought about disabling internet connection, which is perfectly possible: it can be done by turning off connections within your computer or even turning off your router, although of course it means you can't then use the internet!

Even if that were done, though, I'm not sure that Microsoft won't have placed some sort of 'time bomb' in our Windows installations that might prevent its use if updates are not installed! Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, though!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top