Join for free
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Re: Mammogram

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The facts are all in the thread I provided the link for. The instilled notions that Mammograms are safe, effective, reliable and necessary are wholly untrue.

Read the data, be informed, make an informed decision.

Don't be an ignorant victim.
Yawn!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Well I won't argue about it but if I hadn't had one a few years ago I seriously wouldn't be here now the tumour was too deep to feel from the outside so only way they could find it was with the mammogram. Over the years I've had other scans and xrays I guess as they warn you they can all damage you too but for me the investigations have been more important than worrying about the harm it does.

I think we are all grown ups can make our own decisions on the risks we want to take, I never have cervical smears for me that was a step too far in the pain stakes and after they made a mistake with results I just thought I'll take my chances and stop, but I know people who have had their lives saved by that too so it's just a choice we have to make.

I just thought I'd start the thread to remind people they can save a life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I won't argue about it but if I hadn't had one a few years ago I seriously wouldn't be here now the tumour was too deep to feel from the outside so only way they could find it was with the mammogram. Over the years I've had other scans and xrays I guess as they warn you they can all damage you too but for me the investigations have been more important than worrying about the harm it does.
I agree, but I wish people would begin to accept that although ionising radiation does, theoretically, have the potential of damaging tissue, I am yet to see any reports of this actually happening in practice.

When was the last time anyone's hands turned black and dropped off as a consequence of radiation burns? 1910?
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh couldn't you just scream that last second before she presses that release button , oooh the pain . But yes a must .

I wonder if the machine was designed by a man !
well said
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, but I wish people would begin to accept that although ionising radiation does, theoretically, have the potential of damaging tissue, I am yet to see any reports of this actually happening in practice.

When was the last time anyone's hands turned black and dropped off as a consequence of radiation burns? 1910?
Indeed I think protecting unborn babies is sensible but the rest of us are fine with them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Well I won't argue about it
Ok . . .

but
Oh, you are going to argue about it . . . !

so only way they could find it was with the mammogram.

Errr no, not really. You could have opted for Thermography which offers the following benefits:

• It does not involve exposure to radiation, and so it can be used safely over time.

• It can detect vascular changes in breast tissue associated with breast cancer many years in advance of other methods of screening.

• It can be used for all women, including those with dense breast tissue and breast implants.

• Hormonal changes do not affect results.

So in fact Thermography might have detected your tumour years before the Mammograms did.

I think we are all grown ups can make our own decisions on the risks we want to take
I agree, but crucially I realise and accept that none of us can make an informed decision until and unless we have been given and have digested all of the available facts. It is very easy to get mislead and caught in the trap of medical brainwashing and to just go along with the status quo instead of doing the research. Your suggestion that Mammography is the only option is an example of such a mislead.

The available data shows that Mammograms have done, and continue to do, more harm than good because they are thoroughly unreliable and have sent many women down the conveyor belt path of cancer treatments when there was never any need for it. The emotional rhetoric of "well it's better to be safe than sorry" is medical brainwashing. In the case of Mammograms, it isn't better at all. It is better not to have them and to opt for a different technology. That's why countries, yes entire countries, are now ceasing the use of Mammography. That would not be happening if Mammograms were a good thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-11-2018, 02:33 PM

But we aren't offered thermotherapy as standard realist we have to work with what we are given if we use the NHS. I can't imagine trying to stop women having a mammogram will make NHS suddenly change tack, what you need to do is make this thermotherapy available to us then we can choose. Until then we have to do what we can.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:27 PM

But we aren't offered thermotherapy as standard realist we have to work with what we are given if we use the NHS. I can't imagine trying to stop women having a mammogram will make NHS suddenly change tack, what you need to do is make this thermotherapy available to us then we can choose. Until then we have to do what we can.
No-one forces you to follow the NHS or for that matter "conventional" Big Pharma medicines and treatments. It's your life. You have a choice.

Thermography exists. Go find it.

The NHS WILL change tack, I guarantee it, but they lag behind other countries. Mammography will eventually fall into the same oubliette as things like Thalidomide, as will mercury amalgam fillings . . . in time. It will happen once people can't effectively sue the NHS for damages.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No-one forces you to follow the NHS or for that matter "conventional" Big Pharma medicines and treatments. It's your life. You have a choice.

Thermography exists. Go find it.

The NHS WILL change tack, I guarantee it, but they lag behind other countries. Mammography will eventually fall into the same oubliette as things like Thalidomide, as will mercury amalgam fillings . . . in time. It will happen once people can't effectively sue the NHS for damages.
I didn't say it didn't exist, I just don't think it's offered freely on the NHS you can say go find it but if it isn't offered by the NHS I certainly can't afford to go privately.

As for suing NHS I am totally against that all that does is make less available for other peoples treatments.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:34 PM

The last mammogram that I had was two years ago when I was seventy-five. They informed me that day that they'd no longer be getting in touched with me through the mail. However, they also told me, that if I noticed a change or had any other issues...to call and make an appointment for another mammogram.

If I have a need to do so, which I haven't, touch wood...it will still be covered under the Ontario Health Insurance Programme...which is definitely good to know...

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top