Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Pensioner Poverty

For more than two decades, Governments have been attempting to bring Pensioner's benefits up to a reasonable standard, however, this barsteward, scumbag 'nasty party' government, with the imposition of their 'austerity' budgets have undone all those improvements and we now see a return of pensioner poverty once more.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nefites-freeze
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Re: Pensioner Poverty

It really is awful although unless we embrace means testing for benefits I can see more and more poverty for the poorest. Why we give pensions to people don't need it always baffles me. We could almost double the pensions of the poorest if we didn't.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 01:33 PM

I would first like to say that pensioners of today are the people who were working in the 60s 70s & 80s because there were still plenty of jobs. They had the chance to buy houses & if they went to work they could have contributed to a pension fund. I appreciate that some didn't do that, but always ask myself if it was their bad planning that makes them now short of money?

Benefits are provided, by those who do go to work and pay NI, so it is only fair that they should be used for those who have fallen on bad times..... but when many people are now unable to find a job who is going to provide the benefits for them in the future?
The main reasons for the current lack of jobs are
1) People who don't want to work so find a way to claim benefits!
2) Computers..... we all want to enjoy the benefits of them, but they are putting many people out of work &, unless you are well educated in technology, the only jobs available are the ones that people often don't want to do!

Back in the 80's when banking became very much dependent on Computers, the staff asked if this would mean losing jobs. We were told " Of course not, we will always need people in banking" The people they were speaking to are now on good pensions, but the staff that came after them are now being disposed of or put into less qualified jobs that pay less!
There certainly isn't a bank on every corner where you can discuss things with the manager & the computer decides if the bank can help.....so if you make any mistakes with your finances they will only help if it gives them a chance to charge you more for doing so.

UJ, this is nothing to do with the Tory party, all governments will suffer the same problems.
The Guardian, who said that Pensioners were living in poverty, should be ashamed of what was written at the end, where they were begging these poverty stricken people to give them money, so they could continue the fight!
What they were really saying was " please make sure you keep us in a job"
They wrote " For as little as £1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you." If they really cared, that £1 may have kept these poverty ridden pensioners' fires lit for a little longer
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It really is awful although unless we embrace means testing for benefits I can see more and more poverty for the poorest. Why we give pensions to people don't need it always baffles me. We could almost double the pensions of the poorest if we didn't.
Hi

Because they have paid for them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Because they have paid for them.
Very true Swim! Many people don't realize that personal and works pensions are created by many years of saving by the person who get them!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 02:24 PM

But they haven't paid for them, they paid for people who claimed pensions while they were working, todays pensions are paid by those still working now, tomorrows will be paid by our children on and on. The idea of this mythical pension pot has to be stopped IMO

As for bad management in the 80s etc some of us have worked and never got ahead because we had to put a roof over our heads and have been in low paid jobs all our lives. I don't mind doing those jobs they suit me and I feel like I contribute but they don't and never have paid enough to save for a pension. My husband paid in for over 20 years and will get less than £200 a year once he retires from his private pension. Savings pay nothing these days many of us have seen our money go into various things that have not paid out as they should have, as we were told they would.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 02:58 PM

But they haven't paid for them, they paid for people who claimed pensions while they were working, todays pensions are paid by those still working now, tomorrows will be paid by our children on and on. The idea of this mythical pension pot has to be stopped IMO

As for bad management in the 80s etc some of us have worked and never got ahead because we had to put a roof over our heads and have been in low paid jobs all our lives. I don't mind doing those jobs they suit me and I feel like I contribute but they don't and never have paid enough to save for a pension. My husband paid in for over 20 years and will get less than £200 a year once he retires from his private pension. Savings pay nothing these days many of us have seen our money go into various things that have not paid out as they should have, as we were told they would.
Hi

Private Pensions and top ups are paid for by the individual, not the Government.

My State Pension is already reduced because I have private pensions.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Are these the same overpaid Baby Boomer pensioners with triple locked pensions that the media keep complaining about?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Savings pay nothing these days many of us have seen our money go into various things that have not paid out as they should have, as we were told they would.
That, I'm afraid, is the result of believing the State, the "system" and not taking personal responsibility for your life. People have to wake up and stop being Sheeple. Some wake up early, others don't. Some never wake up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Private Pensions and top ups are paid for by the individual, not the Government.

My State Pension is already reduced because I have private pensions.
We were talking about the state pension of course private pensions aren't included in what I said. I sometimes wonder what members actually read in posts because it was clear I thought.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top