Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2009, 11:53 PM

I want one of these! (Unicyle!)

Car-maker Honda has unveiled a prototype of a battery-powered unicycle, deigned for the elderly.

The one-wheeled U3-X "personal mobility vehicle" can travel at speeds up to six kilometres (3.7 miles) per hour and was shown off in Tokyo, Japan.

The sit-on design allows a rider to move by leaning their weight in the direction they want to travel

Some of the technology in the vehicle was originally developed as part as Honda's humanoid robot project ASIMO.

For example, it uses the same balance control technology as the bipedal robot, featured in its television adverts.

The 10kg vehicle also uses what the firm claims to be the "world's first omni-directional driving wheel system", which enables it to move in all directions.

The "Hot-Drive" system uses a series of small motor-controlled wheels connected together to form one large wheel.

This main wheel allows a rider to move forward and backward. The smaller wheels allow the device to move from side-to-side. A combination allows the device to move diagonally.

Honda is planning to showcase the U3-X at the Tokyo Motor Show 2009 on October 24, 2009.

However, Honda President Takanobu Ito said the machine was still "a proposal" and the company had no plans for when and if it will go on sale.

With more than 22% of Japans population over retirement age, the country is increasingly turning towards technology to help deal with its rapidly aging society.

Toyota, for example, has previously demonstrated its Winglet to help people move around. The device is similar to the Segway, an upright two-wheeled scooter manufactured in the US.
See it in action here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8273213.stm
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2009, 11:56 PM

Re: I want one of these! (Unicyle!)

that would suit me just fine Azz ...... would I need a licence to ride it?

Just the job to pop to Sainsbury's on!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Ha ha, . . I can just see them whizzing round Asda's on that.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 08:54 AM

%Think I will stick to walking, much saferAlthough its a brilliant idea...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 09:52 AM

I wonder if I would have to wear a safety helmet?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Bet when they get cheap enough, open plan homes will rise in popularity
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Now there's an idea for the 5 word story thread? Easier than a lion or an Over50s Auntie?
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 06:13 PM

yes Azz you should go off and ask your fairy godmother.

They look good fun and not as clumsy as some mobility aids. I wonder if they'll catch on.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 07:22 PM

It would be handy for me when I'm desperate to get too the toilet I wonder what weight it takes upto??????
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Looks as difficult to use as a Segway!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top