Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Re: Lentils

Originally Posted by namibcheetah ->
I find the best stocks are the ones made from left over bones from braais (bbq's), roasts, etc. These modern day stocks are full of unknown additives. They also don't take a long time to prepare if you plan properly. I even keep the prawn shells to make stock, from when we hit the seafood restaurants for their prawn specials. You can use the stock in stews, curries, sauces, not just soup.
Only thing is that leftover stock and the likes can be more fattening. Yes, stock cubes are a quick fix, but I love the ham ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 11:34 PM

I usually buy the 'Kallo' ones. They are Organic, and also only have about 0.8g salt, as against the Knorr ones approx. 0.95g (depending on which flavours you choose).
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Don't lentils cause really bad wind?
Ermm. No
namibcheetah
Johannesburg, South Africa
namibcheetah is female 

19-02-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I had my home made lentil and potato soup for lunch again today. I just love it
Sounds delicious! Even though we are cooking here in 30C degrees!
namibcheetah
namibcheetah is female 

19-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Only thing is that leftover stock and the likes can be more fattening. Yes, stock cubes are a quick fix, but I love the ham ones.
I have tried various brands for beef, chicken, lamb, and been very disappointed. I must say, the vegetarian version of one brand is a standard in my cupboard. I only use bones for stock, no fat. With the smoked or roast chicken bones, the fat has already been run out during cooking, so I find the fat to be a few droplets once I've drained the bones and skin. You lucky to get nice ham stock. I've still to even see it here. We smoke our own meat, chicken, fish and even vegetables!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 06:24 PM

Speaking of stock...

My father-in-law was a chef. He said that one boring afternoon they were playing football in the kitchen, as you do.
Many chefs wear clogs, not proper shoes, and one lad's clog flew off. They searched and searched without any success, only to find it two days later in the stock pot.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

19-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Speaking of stock...

My father-in-law was a chef. He said that one boring afternoon they were playing football in the kitchen, as you do.
Many chefs wear clogs, not proper shoes, and one lad's clog flew off. They searched and searched without any success, only to find it two days later in the stock pot.
Oh dear! That would certainly have made the stock taste different
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

19-02-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by namibcheetah ->
Sounds delicious! Even though we are cooking here in 30C degrees!
Yes Char, eating soup in 30C would be a challenge. Even in Winter I'm always warm by the time I've finished a bowl. Delicious and warming in the Winter.
namibcheetah
namibcheetah is female 

04-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Speaking of stock...

Lol, wearing clogs to play football in the kitchen? Well, that's a first! Do you mean clogs as in the Dutch variety? I wore them in Holland, when we cleaned up the garden. The ground was very sodden and out came the clogs. I stuffed them newspaper to fill up the gaps, and they worked. Kept my feet warm and dry. As for the stock, hmmmm!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Chef's clogs are usually slip on ( and very much slip off in the above instance!) with no heel

When I started working in a couple of large factories in the 1970s, Lancashire clogs were still issued for wear in some of the production areas; they have wooden soles and leather uppers. They were eventually replaced by modern safety shoes.

Google for 'chefs clogs' and 'Lancashire clogs' to see illustrations.
Lancashire clogs are still available from small independent makers

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top