Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:15 PM

That's Not Fair!

I had to laugh but annoyed as well.

Yesterday, my Nephew and his wife took their two small children to see Santa in his Grotto at Chirk Castle. They had bought the two tickets from a reputable local shop for the children at £8.00 each for the Santa visit, the children aged 5 and 18 months, were really excited.

They duly arrived at Chirk Castle and while my nephew and the children waited in the car to drive on through the large gates, his wife got out, walked to the kiosk where tickets were being handed in and produced the two children tickets to the woman in charge.
Imagine her surprise then to be informed that they couldn’t come in!! When his startled wife asked - why on earth not? She was informed that she and my nephew had to be National Trust members! (it was apparently in the tiniest of small print on the back of the ticket.)
Obviously, not wishing to disappoint the children, she asked how much the membership was, and was shocked to be told it would be £33.00 each!

She said, ‘’I’m not paying that much!!’’ and the woman said, ‘’Sorry, you can’t come in then’’.
So my nephew’s wife turned to her and said: “I ‘ve paid £16 for my two children to see Santa. I suggest you fetch your supervisor immediately as you seem perfectly happy to disappoint two small children when I have to tell them that they cannot see Santa!.’’
The woman must have thought about it for a moment (whether because of the thought of disappointed children or the bad publicity) because she then relented and quietly said:’’Oh, okay then, you can go on through”.

Have to say though, my nephew said the Grotto was absolutely fabulous, complete with Elves, Santa himself was the most authentic Santa he has ever seen. Complete with a real beard. Both of the children were in awe of him.

Now, have to tell you that little Shamus, for some unknown reason, doesn’t yet know how to say the word ‘YES’’ so when anyone asks him a question, he nods his head from side to side and always says ‘NO’ even when he means YES.
Of course, when they took him to see Santa, the first words he asks him: ‘’Have you been a good little boy’’ Shamus looks at him with eyes agog, shakes his head side to side and says out loudly, ‘NO’ It was so unexpected Santa was in fits of laughter.

Anyway, the visit ended with two small excited children having seen Santa. However, I am still annoyed on their behalf that when they purchased those two tickets for £16, there was no mention that one had to be National Trust members and the true cost to buy them would have been a total £82!! Which she would never have bought. And of course, when you buy tickets to see Santa, who normally reads the magnifying glass needed small print on the back?

It makes one wonder how many other disappointed parents/grandparents who had brought excited little children to see Santa, had then been turned away disappointed due to the stipulation that one must be a National Trust Member?

Fortunately, on this occasion, all turned out well, but...
Sounds very unfair.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Re: That's Not Fair!

A similar thing happened last Christmas. My son and his family were here from Australia, for Christmas last year and his friend who has children too invited them to go to a big circus event in Birmingham.
The friend had complimentary tickets to take so many people to see the circus show.
They caught the train to Birmingham and arrived at the circus. The friend showed the tickets but they were refused entry. Why?....because the ticket was not valid for that day.
The children were upset and crying, so the parents offered to pay. They were told all tickets had been sold and told to come back on another day.

Again, the information about the validity of the tickets was printed in the tiniest writing in an obscure place.

SG, l am glad that your nephew and his family were eventually allowed in and the children weren’t disappointed. It sounds a lovely Christmas treat.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Thanks Art. Yes, they thoroughly enjoyed their time at the Castle, but it could well have turned out to be a very disappointing day for the children.
It appears that although the National Trust do a wonderful job, there are some committee members at the top making decisions these days concentrating more on getting as much money in as they can. I fully appreciate they have to run at a profit, but having to become a member for £33 in order for your children to see Santa when you have already bought a ticket, simply doesn't sit right.

That must have been so disappointing for your Australian visitors. What must they have thought.
I hope they enjoyed their visit otherwise though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:30 PM

I hate visiting any of the National Trust places because you get pounced on as soon as you say you are not a member. It has put me off going tbh. I know it's the staff's fault but nothing they do surprises me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top